ignition barrel locked

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

440turboNat
480 Newbie

ignition barrel locked

Post by 440turboNat » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi all.
does anybody have a decent working ignition barrel plus steering lock and key they want to sell please.
mine has completely locked up and im going to have to break it unless somebody knows how to get into it any other way.
cant move the steering wheel at all not even the normal amount to release the lock.
440 2.0 1993
440 Turbo
480 Turbo
both 1993

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: ignition barrel locked

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:42 pm

I think they can be released, but maybe you need the key inserted?

I'll check with HBOL and revert with a private message if OK?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

440turboNat
480 Newbie

Post by 440turboNat » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:20 pm

that would be perfect thankyou
440 Turbo
480 Turbo
both 1993

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm

OK

I had a quick look at HBOL and sadly you need to be able to turn the key to position TWO to be able to remove the lock . . ..

I f it has stuck completely then you'll need to drill out the snap off bolt heads, trying to 'smash' it off will jigger the column, but I guess you could try and cut the ally in situ with an angle grinder ,bu t it will make a heck of a mess of the interior.

a working steering lock is now part of the MoT as weel . . .. .

you need to get the plastic cowl off first and there are two screws hidden behind the steering wheel, only visible (just) when steering wheel is at 3 or 9

or remove the steering wheel BUT take EXTRA care cos it's got an air-bag, so battery off for TEN minutes before you start.

there is maybe a 'how to' remove steering wheel?
The cushion is held on with four allen keys accessed from the dash board side, again you need to move the wheel to get decent access :-(

having CAREFULLY disconnect the orange wire (for air bag) under the dash you can lift out the air bag and set it CAREFULLY aside.

there is a wee screw that looks 'lonely' next to the coiled spring contact for the air bag.

it is place into the spring at 12 o'clock and ONLY then remove the screws holding it in place, this lets you get at the steering wheel nut.

all this just to access the two self tappers . .. .

then get at the steering lock
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1