No spark - No start - help or scrap

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

SW480
480 Newbie

No spark - No start - help or scrap

Post by SW480 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi All

After firing up my 480 a few months ago and on the way to my new work shop, it dies mid way and has not been able to start since.

I think it's a spark as there's no spark it's turning over its got battery but no spark at all all the lights work all electrics.

It had a new fuel pump which I changed thinking that was the issues as I found it unusual that it died mid drive .

I've cleaned all the points checked all the plugs they all look great and I can smell fuel coming to the engine

Still no start. Getting pressure to scrap it or move it on as it's just sitting there so really would like some advice on getting this going as I'd love to keep it as a daily and sad to scrap her as she's low milage( ISH ) and been great until now .

I know zero about the electrics on these and would like to know where to start .

cranna21
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: No spark - No start - help or scrap

Post by cranna21 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:22 pm

if all of the plugs, leads, cap and arm are in good condition i would check the crank sensor, its positioned at the very top of the bellhousing right at the block, can be had on ebay new relatively cheaply, i'd also just check all your earths and make sure thats all good as it should be!
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 212bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'08 XC90 D5 SE Premium

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:15 pm

I’ve had similar issues. My fixes were:

Terminal on back of starter.
New plugs, rotor arm and diz cap.

It did also have a new battery but I don’t think that was really necessary.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:34 pm

Firstly - What model of 480 is it?

Second - Where in the country are you?

Have you actually checked to see if there's a spark? Something like this can be helpful (as can a second pair of helping hands!).

If you're not getting a spark from the plug, next check is whether your getting a spark from the king lead (centre of the cap).

Crank sensor would be a good call. May also be worth checking the pair of relays under the dash in the drivers footwell. One is the main ignition relay, the other the fuel relay. They're interchangeable with each other (NOT with most "off the shelf" relays though!)