hand-brake warning light 1993

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

hand-brake warning light 1993

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:49 pm

lazy question.
ignition on and the 'brake warning' light comes on until engine is running.
is it 12V supply at the spade connector?

the handbrake warning light is not coming on regardless of hand-brake lever up or down. tried cleaning the connection where it 'pokes through' the metal frame, no help.

I think the metal strip looks as if it is insulated from frame and just makes contact when lever is down, is this correct? and of course the wire for this is buried below the SRS unit so difficult to remove and replace or even see the colours :-(

SWAMBO assures me that the light was on 'all the time' this AM but OK in PM :?

it does say about a 'fluid level switch' , but I've never seen it, unless that is the wee wire that is fitted into front of servo?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: hand-brake warning light 1993

Post by Murf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Does this light not also cover the brake fluid level sensor in the brake fluid tank?
I unplugged mine to change the fluid and it lit the ABS and brake warning light beside it. Mine is a '92 though...
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 am

Murf wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 pm
Does this light not also cover the brake fluid level sensor in the brake fluid tank?
I unplugged mine to change the fluid and it lit the ABS and brake warning light beside it. Mine is a '92 though...
changed over with different model years, only a SINGLE light

I don't see a level sensor on side of tank, but maybe cos looking on top of tank which is where the SS1 level sensor is :-)
Alan

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:13 am

Alan

Slightly confused from your original post as to what the light is doing
- first you seem to suggest it is coming on when you start and going off once engine is running (which is normal in terms of brake fluid check but it should stay on if the handbrake is on);
- then handbrake light not coming on (which accords with light going off when engine running);
- then SWAMBO saying it has been ON all the time.

If these three are all correct that's a bit random!

Yes, there is a fluid level sensor, it is right down the side of the reservoir not at the lid like most are (typical 480 - why keep it simple when it can be made complicated?). Handbrake switch makes contact to turn light off provided fluid level is ok.

If the behaviour is as random as it sounds, I reckon the fluid level sensor is dying.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:43 am

dcwalker wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:13 am
Alan

Slightly confused from your original post as to what the light is doing
- first you seem to suggest it is coming on when you start and going off once engine is running (which is normal in terms of brake fluid check but it should stay on if the handbrake is on);
- then handbrake light not coming on (which accords with light going off when engine running);
- then SWAMBO saying it has been ON all the time.

If these three are all correct that's a bit random!

Yes, there is a fluid level sensor, it is right down the side of the reservoir not at the lid like most are (typical 480 - why keep it simple when it can be made complicated?). Handbrake switch makes contact to turn light off provided fluid level is ok.

If the behaviour is as random as it sounds, I reckon the fluid level sensor is dying.

David
David
I did see that lead on the servo and thought 'that can't be the level sensor! '
I couldn't remember if the light should go on/off with engine started (and obviously stay on if handbrake lever is up)

but rather than remove the central box/arm rest cubby and fire up the other one just if anybody knew 'off hand' the answer

at present the light NEVER comes on with handbrake on if engine is running

It's not a massive issue as keep an eye on fluid levels and usually remember to put the handbrake off :wink:

further update today, looks as if it it might be the connector into dash board as it was flakey today as I drove to work, rev counter was also dropping out.

really time I got the 'alternative' dash fixed & fitted . .. . .
Alan