Mystery sponge

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Mystery sponge

Post by Norm57 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:28 am

Hope someone can help. My repaired dash binacle (thanks Brinkie) should be back with me today or tomorrow. When I took it out some old sponge like material came away with it. I am guessing insulation or sound deadening?. My question is do I need to replace it and where exactly does it attach? It's in pieces so can I use something else if needs be?

Norman

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: Mystery sponge

Post by dcwalker » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:52 am

Hi Norm

Sorry for never getting back to you about helping you on this - been swamped by life recently and it simply slipped my mind. Anyway, it sounds as if you succeeded in getting the instrument cluster out :D

The sponge was stuck on the RH side of the surround so that when it is in place it sat against the RH side of the instrument binnacle and in front of the light bar that goes up behind the 3 switches and headlamp switch. I think it was partly to stop rattling from there but more importantly to stop stray light shining out through the gap between the surround and the cluster.

If you look at the plastic frame that the switches clip into (screwed to the "back panel" of the fascia surround) you'll probably see dried out traces of the foam...if it is still in one piece, experiment with putting it in situ various ways round - it'll be obvious which is the right way when you do that.

Hope that helps!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Norm57

Post by Norm57 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks David, had an op on my right hand so broke speedo needle with my hamfisted left! Brinkie hopefully has worked his magic. Will see if I can salvage the remains and glue it back.

Cheers Norman

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 pm

The instrument cluster is on its way, but somehow the tracking information got lost on its journey across the North Sea; both PostNL and Yodel don't know its current whereabouts. Don't be alarmed, and don't be surprised either when it will be delivered today!

Don't re-use the remains of the sponge, it will probably crumble to dust in your hands. I've seen this often on 480's where I removed the instrument cluster, you can leave it out completely, or put some fresh foam in. Take care that it doesn't touch the top right hand corner of the instrument cluster, because the 5 watt halogen bulb for the info centre will melt the foam. No fire hazard, it just smells bad.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

Norm57

Post by Norm57 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 am

brinkie wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 pm
The instrument cluster is on its way, but somehow the tracking information got lost on its journey across the North Sea; both PostNL and Yodel don't know its current whereabouts. Don't be alarmed, and don't be surprised either when it will be delivered today!

Don't re-use the remains of the sponge, it will probably crumble to dust in your hands. I've seen this often on 480's where I removed the instrument cluster, you can leave it out completely, or put some fresh foam in. Take care that it doesn't touch the top right hand corner of the instrument cluster, because the 5 watt halogen bulb for the info centre will melt the foam. No fire hazard, it just smells bad.
Thanks Robert, it's in pieces so probably will not go back in anyway. I think I will leave it out and see how it goes, if the problem that David described appears I will have to have a rethink.