Bad Day

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

travelman
Started learning about 480

Bad Day

Post by travelman » Fri May 18, 2018 5:13 pm

I returned back to Birmingham Airport after a holiday 3 hrs late at about 2am.Got back on bus to outdoor carpark and found my 480.It started first go so great.Then the gremlins took charge.Put the lights on and pop ups struggled,eventually came up and stayed-but no lights anywhere including side lights.Never given any problem before.I found that only the flash would work,so decided to drive home holding the flash stick up all the way back.Got to exit and would not let me out.I spoke to the "voice" and because I was over 3 hrs late I had to pay another £12 to get out.No amount of pleading worked-got a jobsworth.Set off down the road and under bright lights saw that my windscreen was cracked! Could not believe it.How it got cracked in there is a mystery to me.Eventually got home about 5am after an interesting drive.Ever tried changing gear and holding the flash stick up at the same time..
Next day checked the headlight and pop up fuses as all still not working and the pop ups would not go back down.They were ok.As I worked my way through the fuses I found that the sidelight/day running light fuse had blown-no 22 on my car.I replaced this and immediately everything worked again.Pop ups ,Headlights,sidelights all ok.So how do the pop ups have anything to do with the sidelights.I have had the vehicle for years and the wiring has not been altered in any way that I am aware of.If it is just another 480 peculiarity then it is another thing to check if the pop ups and lights die on you.Anyway,glad to have a fully operational car again,but have no idea what caused the fuse to blow,unless it was the pop ups strugging to get up when I first put the switch on.I do not know what caused that either as they are both working perfectly again now.
Now I need a windscreen.Is it possible to get one still that has the tint along the top of it or are they plain ones now.Alternatively,does anyone have a good original one to sell.I am in Worcestershire and would travel a reasonable distance to collect.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Bad Day

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri May 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Last new windscreen we had came with the tinted strip on the grounds that the old one had it.
That was a couple of years ago tho, so just ask the screen co. before you go buying one from a breaker.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eye of ra » Sun May 20, 2018 1:34 pm

As far as Volvo is concerned there is no such thing as Sidelights on the 480, what you have are

Main (popups) - high beam, flash – operate in all light switch positions, you just can’t see them if down.

Dipped (popups) - normal headlights – operate in second position.

Driving, Aux or Long Range (clear lights next to day running lights) - high beam, flash - operate in all light switch positions or only if pop-ups down depending on the position of centre console switch next to heated seats.

Day Running (clear lights in between the Driving lights and the indicators - 21W) - on all the time while driving.

Dimed Dipped (UK only) - the Dipped popup (headlight) bulbs are fed less current/voltage and appear dim giving the impression of separate low wattage bulbs - operate in position one.

Parking Lights (the rest of the universe) - 4W DRL - operate in position one.

Fuse 22 feeds all the above lights except Parking (so they can operate with ignition off) and also the control relay to the Popups (popup motors are feed by fuse 4).

This only relates to cars with fuse boxes with 26 fuses.
Last edited by eye of ra on Mon May 21, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

travelman
Started learning about 480

Post by travelman » Sun May 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Well,that explains why I had no lights,but it is confusing as fuse 22 is only labelled Dip/Dim and Dayrun lights.They could have put"and all other lights"!
I have a whole host of fuses that say they do the lights .
6- does Front and Rear Foglights
8-Does Main beam ,left
9- Main Beam ,right and Long Range Dip/Dim
10-Parking lights ,left, plus rear lights l+r
11-Parking lights Right +Rear lights l+r(why do both fuses,10+11 seem to cover the same rear lights?)
12-Dip Beam Left
13-Dip Beam Right
16-Long Range lights/central locking/Horn.
Fuses on all these were ok
Yet fuse 22 seems to over ride most of these others as none of these were working on the night.
"Flash" must be catered for by another fuse,even though not labelled anywhere as this was the only light source that would come on and which got me home.Indeed,it is a confusing and weird system.After 23 years I should be used to it,but it continues to throw these things at me.
Sorry,I should have put day running lights,but I am of the era before these were used and I tend to call them all sidelights-but you knew what I meant!

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eye of ra » Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Actually I thought you were talking about different lights, I would personally call the Dim-Dip lights sidelights as that is what comes on when position one is used (in the UK) and the symbol looks like sidelights to me.

I didn’t mention fog lights as it gets complicated as every country seems to have had different rules as well the wiring changing over the years and I don’t know your location or age of car, I did gather you had a 26 fuse fuse box though.

I agree about the labelling but basically fuse 22 supplies power to the light switch (and a few other things depending on age and region) which then supplies power to most of the lights either directly or to control relays and then the supply from the relays have their own separate fuses.

The flasher uses fuse 2 and as you say 8 l/h and 9 r/h.

I have also edited my post as there was an error in relation to the parking lights.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015