Smoke on the water

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

amazontommy
480 Newbie

Smoke on the water

Post by amazontommy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 am

My 88 turbo has a strange fault. The radiator starts smoking at 80 degrees C but the fan doesnt start. Pushed it to 95 degrees but nothing happened. I have changed the radiator for a good 2nd hand one. I tested by shortening the electric cable from the thermoswitch to the fan and it worked fine. So, I put a new thermoswith in thinking the problem was solved but it was the same behaviour. No fan. What did I miss? Is there a fuse or relay involved somewhere?

WhiteWolf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: Smoke on the water

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:39 am

Hi...
I cant say I know why the radiator was smoking.. Maybe a hole somewhere and it was steam coming out...

On my 91 turbo I put a new radiator and switch in it.. My fan used to kick in at mid 90s.. For some reason it now comes on at 102c.. Some of the radiators fans have 2 speed settings..

Personally I would just let her run and heat up. It will say stop on the info centre if it gets too hot.. Failing that you could just put a switch on the fan wire to manually turn it on...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

amazontommy
480 Newbie

Post by amazontommy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks for quick reply. I could not identify any hole where steam was coming up or any dripping under the radiator.
I will push it to the max and see what happens. If nothing, I will put in a manual switch.
When the rad reaches +80 it starts to vaporize (steaming) and the fan does not kick in.
Weird. It's the last thing to solve before it gets back on the road after years in the garage.

amazontommy
480 Newbie

Post by amazontommy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Pushed it to 102*C and voila! the fan started and got it back to 90*C.
Just a small leak at bottom hose to tighten up and next stop MOT!