CEM 3

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

JimAitken
Started learning about 480

CEM 3

Post by JimAitken » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:00 pm

On a CEM 3 (I think) from a GT, which micro relay is the one for the indicators and electric windows? Anyone know?
I have a continuing problem that once the engine gets warm, the indicators and electric windows stop working, then the engine cuts out a short while later!! And takes ages to restart. :badmood:
current: 480GT, V70 D5
previous: 480Turbo, 440, 850, V70 Classic. Renaults 4/5/6/20, Mini Cooper S (1968), Alfasud ti

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: CEM 3

Post by WRDendy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Page 9 of this wiring diagram appears to show a schematic of the CEM III (which is indeed the revision on a GT).

The indicators are C4 and the window motors are D8 and D9. Obviously it's just a diagram and doesn't reflect the actual board layout, but it should help to get you started.

The easiest thing with CEM problems in my experience is to swap it out for a known good one (easier said than done if you only have the one in the car!) and see if that fixes the problem, and then go from there. If it works initially and then stops working, that implies that the relays are doing their job at least for a while, so the problem may be more complex than it first appears.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

JimAitken

Post by JimAitken » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Jaster wrote:Page 9 of this wiring diagram appears to show a schematic of the CEM III (which is indeed the revision on a GT).

The indicators are C4 and the window motors are D8 and D9. Obviously it's just a diagram and doesn't reflect the actual board layout, but it should help to get you started.

The easiest thing with CEM problems in my experience is to swap it out for a known good one (easier said than done if you only have the one in the car!) and see if that fixes the problem, and then go from there. If it works initially and then stops working, that implies that the relays are doing their job at least for a while, so the problem may be more complex than it first appears.
thanks for that. I'm decided to look for a spare CEM. I wonder if there is a dodgy solder joint which is active when cold and creates a tiny gap when it warns up.
Thanks for the diagrams. I've added that to my 480 'library'. I also have the service manuals for the bodywork if anyone needs a copy.
previous: 480Turbo, 440, 850, V70 Classic. Renaults 4/5/6/20, Mini Cooper S (1968), Alfasud ti

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:39 pm

Best of luck in the search!

Depending on your knowledge of electronics it might be worth having a look at the board anyway. A dry joint is a possibility and an easy fix if that's all it is. Often easy to spot under a microscope, if you have access to one.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

JimAitken

Post by JimAitken » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Just to confirm.... replaced the CEM and everything works again :)