Starter Motor Replacement - how complex?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dutmanjf
Started learning about 480

Re: Starter Motor Replacement - how complex?

Post by dutmanjf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Most common starter problems are faulty/old battery, CEM III or the ignition switch.
480 Turbo 1991 305

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Starter Motor Replacement - how complex?

Post by Macaroon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 pm

If you haven't fixed it yet, it may just be a dodgy connection or wire. (Apologies it I've missed a post, I only skimmed the thread).

I used to have an intermittent dead starter issue with my 92 Two Tone, which could be solved by wiggling and pushing the fat red battery positive wire, although I first had to rule out relays etc.

I concluded there is a dodgy connection or a break in the positive lead somewhere between the small black plastic junction box and the connection with the starter motor. I plan to replace this cable with a piece from an old jump lead, if I ever have to remove the starter motor, but for now, I seem to have resolved it, and haven't had any recurrence for a couple of years.

FWIW I also found my starter turns better after I replaced the main earth strap (from the battery negative to the bodywork) as it was very corroded under the battery tray.

Hope this helps - if in doubt, wiggle it!
Tonee: '93 Two Tone. High mileage but nice 'n' tidy.
Sheba: '91 ES Paris Special. Love that leather, baby. Scrapped and used as a spares car.