Immobilizer question

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Volvo 480 III
480 Newbie

Immobilizer question

Post by Volvo 480 III » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi,

I have a Collection model from 1995 with the Volvo original immobilizer.
The car does not start and I suspect it is the immobilizer that is the problem. I just fitted new battery and it still doesn`t start. Anybody having experience with this immobilizer and knows how it works?
The light beside the immobilizer socket on the dash is winking red when I open the car by the key and central locking. By putting the little mall plastic round key into the socket nothing happens. The light is still winking red. Should the light become green at some point to indicate that the car can be started? Should you put the plastic round key into the socket key before starting the car? I do not have any info about this feature. Anybody here has manual or something describing how this feature works? Of course it could be the starter itself that is the problem, it does not turn at all when I turn the ignition key. But I would like to rule out the immobilizer first. I know the engine is working.
Hope for some reply on above issue.

Best regards

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Immobilizer question

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:31 am

I know what you are talking about as the last EOL volvo 480 I had contained this feature had a quick look but never bothered trying to remove it as was scrapping the car anyway. Sorry no real help.