Sudden (no) Starter Problem

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Sudden (no) Starter Problem

Post by Martin Mc » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Backed the car out of the garage yesterday afternoon - it started fine and was running well. Switched off and went off to do something else for a couple of hours. When I came back to the car it wouldn't start - ignition lights come on, but turning the key just made a click (and the lights dimmed). As the car had been standing for a while I thought it might be a weak battery, so put it on charge overnight. This morning the battery was registering a steady 12.87 volts on the meter, so I re-connected it thinking that should do the trick.... no joy :( - just the same click and dim as yesterday afternoon.

So, thinking it might be a duff battery, I swapped over with the battery from my Zafira (a new unit three weeks ago). Same problem in the volvo- click and lights dim...

Unfortunately the car is parked on a downward slope outside my garage, so I can't move it back under cover unless it will start. My question is, what might have happened in between stopping the car yesterday afternoon, and then trying to start it again a couple of hours later? I've tried hitting the starter motor with a hammer (!) (old trick), swapped out the battery, swapped out coil pack, none of which has made any difference to the click and dim symptoms. The earth strap is in good order, as are the battery terminals. The symptoms point to a duff battery or short-out, but the battery appears to be fully charged..

Does anyone have any ideas what I should look at?

1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Sudden (no) Starter Problem

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Put the car in neutral , handbrake on and then hot wire the starter motor.if it turns then we have a problem that can be solved by stoneage technology ;) if it doesnt then the starter motor is gubbed in all likelyhood it is the solenoid that is the problem.

Just a last thought as it happened to me in pouring rain the connector onto the soleniod just happened to snap due to rust blah blah blah and all I needed to do was strip 4/5 mm of wire and crimp a new connector on. A totally random event.

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks Jim, if I only knew how to hotwire a starter! :D I guess I should have paid more attention to my dodgy mates when I was a teenager!

Are there any pictures of the starter/ solenoid set up on the forums anywhere? (I'll have a good trawl this week, but just in case anyone can signpost me..) It looks like replacement solenoids are available on eBuy for relatively small cash. Is the removal and refit an easy job, given the starter is somewhat inconveniently hidden behind the manifold? I've already seen some good clear photos on another thread (scroll down on http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=18749) though I think these are taken with the engine out of the car...

Anyway, I'll post any updates, and when I get the car started again - I just want to get it back on the road where it belongs, as soon as I can.

Cheers!

Martin :wink:
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm

I don't know how similar a 480 is to a tractor, but when one of those needs starting and you don't have the key, a spanner, screwdriver or something equally conductive placed across the bolts on the solenoid usually does the trick!
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:41 pm

do a search for the phrase " stone age technology " as I fitted a starter button (hot wire) in one of my daughters 480's

changing a starter motor is an easy job as long as it is not a turbo :D

hot wiring is likewise very easy. Whatever you do DO NOT follow the advice of the post above !!!!!!! :shock:

WRDendy

Post by WRDendy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:57 pm

I'll show myself out... :rofl:

This is what I was getting at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRlRinL-N-8
But please trust Jim over me in this case!
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:45 am

yep find the THIN wire on back of starter then run a wire from tht point up near the POSITIVE terminal,

switch on ignition
ENSURE IN NEUTRAL

touch lead onto live on battery, et voila the starter should spin up (also been there, so a swicth in engine bay for spinning engine WITHOUT starting)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:25 pm

measured 12.5 volts across the two terminals on the starter / solenoid this afternoon, with the car in neutral and igniton at position 2. Looks increasingly like a goosed solenoid. I can see these are relatively easy to source on fleaBay - but are they easy to fit with all that exhaust manifold in the way and being at the back of the engine?

:badmood:

Just one other thought - would the car be likely to bump start, if the solenoid has failed?

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:54 am

Martin Mc wrote:measured 12.5 volts across the two terminals on the starter / solenoid this afternoon, with the car in neutral and igniton at position 2. Looks increasingly like a goosed solenoid. I can see these are relatively easy to source on fleaBay - but are they easy to fit with all that exhaust manifold in the way and being at the back of the engine?

:badmood:

Just one other thought - would the car be likely to bump start, if the solenoid has failed?
aye if you can get enough speedup, but TBH the cat might not like it (extra fuel upsetting the air/fuel etc etc)

satrter can be removed if you can get under it to easier see the bolts BUT I think removal from above IS possible?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Unless it is a turbo then its no problem I have always changed from the top its no problem really just takes time.

Ade

Post by Ade » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:57 pm

I've recently had my starter out to sort a dodgy solenoid on mine, which is a turbo. Glasgow Jim is quite right that the turbo makes it difficult. If you remove the o/s driveshaft it makes life a lot easier, still fiddly though, but doable. You'll have to take quite a bit of stuff out the way to find the bolts from above as well. A little mirroris very helpful in this endeavour.

Good luck!
O.C. 480 D.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Ade if the picture at the top of the thread is correct its an S model so should be no problem :D

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:19 pm

Hello all, and thanks for your contributions. Yes the car is an 'S' so no turbo.

I capitulated today and got my friendly local garage to take a look at the car. They quickly diagnosed a dead starter motor, and will fit a replacement tomorrow. Next week I'll get the small amount of welding done that it needs for the MOT, then get the MOT done and with any luck we will take to the roads once again by mid July.

Can't wait! :hopping:

M