Air con problems

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dxi310
480 Newbie

Air con problems

Post by dxi310 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:08 am

Just had the air con on my celebration recharged but now it seems the compresser is not working, it has always taken some time for the air con to work as it should but this time it refuses to cool and i can see the compresser is not engaging

What is the likely cause and can this be rectified without a new compresser being required, how can one be sure a second hand unit is ok, and are new compressers still available ?
Any advise would be appreciated

Dennis

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Air con problems

Post by doingitsideways » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:55 pm

I think most problems boil down to the VEM.

That's the module behind where your push buttons are.

Most tend to have broken solder joints on the PCB.

Try taking a live from the battery to the compressor with the engine running and see if it engages, this will confirm whether or not the compressor is duff.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

dxi310
480 Newbie

Post by dxi310 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated

Will give that ago and update the forum

Dennis

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Probably worth noting though, that you may have a slow leak on the system, hense the slowness of previous operation.

It could just be low on gas, as if there is insufficient pressure in the system, it won't run to prevent damage to the compressor, etc.

If you do try the bypass like I suggested, don't let it run for more than a few seconds, just in case.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:25 pm

I once had an intermittent air-conditioning due to an intermittent switch. Also, the air-conditioning fluid needs to be checked and refilled with a certain regularity. I do mine about every three years. Without sufficient fluid the a/c will work bad, or not at all. And the compressor can damage.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0