Speedometer / Instrument cluster Wiring help ( easy )

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

sam029
480 Newbie

Speedometer / Instrument cluster Wiring help ( easy )

Post by sam029 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 pm

taken my instrument cluster off my Volvo 480, due to the KM / trip meter no longer registering, My Speed IS registering; although funny in the beginning; it solved itself.

I noticed when pulling the instrument cluster out of the dash a grey female ended cable that was loose or not even connected; think it's 8 pin or so; this comes out from the rear of the km readout/ tachometer section.

I can't for the life of me find an obvious place for it to connect to ...

Can someone point me in the right direction? am i looking for a slot for it to connect to, or a cable with pins for the grey one to go into?

If only i could just upload the pic :( i can give my email if you need a pic.

I'm guessing this grey cable registers the KM's / TRIP? Is the speed display itself independent? ( I've read it's a sensor from the gearbox )

Cheers!

hebruins
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Speedometer / Instrument cluster Wiring help ( easy )

Post by hebruins » Thu May 14, 2015 5:43 pm

A flat grey cable?

That would be the cable for the info-centre- selection-button ;)

Mail me the picture and we'll see.

Oh and the reason why your trip and odometer doesn't work is 99,9% sure: a broken tooth on the odometergear in the speedometer-unit.
Volvo 480 GT-Turbo 1995 ~ 321 current
Volvo 480 Turbo 1994 ~ 305 got totalled
Volvo 480 GT-Turbo 1994 ~ 323 sold
Volvo 480 Turbo 1993 ~ 305 sold