Now infocenter is dead??!!

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

gsa60
Started learning about 480

Now infocenter is dead??!!

Post by gsa60 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 pm

The dreadful our has arrived: How am I going to know how much fuel I have left? :cryhard: .

This week my info center died. On one day it was ok (although I felt a faint burnt smell) on the next morning turned the key and... No info center :kill:.

I don't think it's the display fault nor it's controller (small chip behind it). Although I'm not sure as i cannot find a datasheet for it where the protocol is defined.
Connection from the display to the big PCB is OK (I actually soldered, a wile ago, some wires between the two PCBs instead of using the nasty comb like pins as I was sick of the infocenter gremlins ).

All Is pointing out to the infocenter board that is located behind the speedo.
With an osciloscope I'm getting some signal from the infocenter pins that connect to the display. But they were very suspicious: at leas 4 of the 5 pins had signals with the same frequency. I mean, all of them look like a clock signal always with the same frequency. there was no real signal. But I digress...

I was hopping that I would find a burnt resistor in the PCB or something (due to the smell). But nothing. everything seems ok.
I'm currently trying to troubleshoot it but It's giving me headaches :lol: .

So my question: has anybody have any experience with the board which can give me some input? From which pins is the power being supplied to the infocenter? I know it will be hard to guess from afar but, don't be shy :wink: . Until then I'll continue to check the info center with the multimeter.

Also does anyone know how the sensors that connect to the infocenter behave? Right now I've got some measurements like cold coolant sensor resistor, oil temperature, fuel level (I have 138 ohm of petrol how much that is I do not know :D ). If anyone has any info on the values of the sensors for different status as well how to interpreter the injection pulses that would be great as I'm considering other options instead of using the infocenter since this is the 2nd one that dies on me.

Tomorrow I'll continue with the testings. I'll let you know how that is going.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Now infocenter is dead??!!

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:14 am

emergency fuel gauge use an analogue ammeter. It is approx u you wont run out of fuel.
I used current readings when working out the gauge suppose it should have been easier to go down the resistance route but the current was more straightforward at the time.

I still have the roughly calibrated meter if you want it ?
sits in a cubby quite neatly :rofl:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:35 am

just one quick check, confirm that the 'super bright' halogen lamp is still working, when it dies the display 'disappears' and it makes you think that the 'INFO CENTRE' has died when actually it's only the bulb, don't ask how I know ;)

I could locally source a 'special' so I fitted a 'normal' bulb and can't see INFO-CENTRE in sunny days (not that we get many of them in ABZ)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

gsa60

Post by gsa60 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for your help.
Alan: I was hopping it would be one bulb burnt but unfortunately it's not.
Jim: I'm thinking of making an emergency gauge of my own but my issue is the calibration. Do you remember the values for the empty/full tank?
I'll try to use a gauge, if I fail, I might have to ask you to borrow me yours :wink:
Cheers.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:32 pm

You can have my gauge for the cost of the postage its already roughly calibrated .

all the wiring runs out the back its just tucks in the front for storage.

Estimated cost is £5

gsa60

Post by gsa60 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:39 pm

HI Jim,
Thank you for your offer.
However, while doing my testings I've created one of my own. I've done so calculations for the amount of kms I've traveled I'm figuring out I should have two dashes of fuel. So as long as I don't go under the resistance I got for that suposedly two dashes I should be Ok until I source one infocenter from the scrapyard.
I know it's not rocket science but that's good enough for now :D .

I had little time toady for checking my infocentre but the thing still seems dead.

Oh for those looking for values: my tank (60 liter) when full has a resistance of 41.2~41.3 ohm

Cheers

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:18 pm

If it's the PCB that defective, I have a spare computer that Esta gave me. It should be good. It does not work with my dashboard however. Not every computer works with every dashboard. I cannot guarantee it works or it works with your dashboard. You can have it for the costs of postage.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

gsa60

Post by gsa60 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi Van,
That would be a great help. I'm having trouble finding it in the local scrapyards.
To be more sure that it will be a match for mine, could you please check the 3-digit number on the large chip?
I believe the number "734" or "712" would work for mine.
Cheers

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:08 pm

I will check it for you. If I can't do it tonight it will be day after tomorrow, I'm all tied up. Sent me a reminder if you didn't get a reply from me about this.

balto8
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by balto8 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:54 pm

There is this guy in Madrid that has for sale many dashboards from different years. I've bought several parts from him and he checks thoroughly parts before selling.

Take a look if you need to.

http://www.milanuncios.com/anuncios/vol ... cuadro.htm
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:56 pm

This is the one:

gsa60

Post by gsa60 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi Van,
I think that it might work :hopping: .
I'll send you a PM in a minute.
Thank you.

Also, balto8, that's a good link I'm having a look right now.

Cheers

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:27 pm

balto8 a 100 euros for an info centre they must be taking the pi** the going rate here including euopean postage works out at about 40 to 44 euros

100 euros :badmood: you have to be desparate that is plain daylight robbery.

I know european prices are higher but that is well expensive for a second hand part.

Hell at that rate I should start advertisng abroad !!!!!!

sam029
480 Newbie

Post by sam029 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:49 pm

100 euros for a complete working speedometer for your model, fully refurbished and checked is a good price to me, i've seen them on Ebay for 240 euros +

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun May 17, 2015 10:25 pm

240 euros you must have more money than sense to pay those prices .

Refurbished :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Mon May 18, 2015 10:03 am

There are gold diggers everywhere Jim.