Fuel pump 3 sec when ignition??

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Greengrass
480 Newbie

Fuel pump 3 sec when ignition??

Post by Greengrass » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Should the fuel pump always turn around for about 3 seconds when you turn the ignition on?

Mine do not....

In Haynes on page 4B11 chapter 9 Fuel system, it says that when ignition turns on, the fuelpump works ca 3 seconds.

If not, what is the problem?

My engine do not start (se separate thread), the fuelpumps works 3 seconds AFTER that I tried to start the engine!
480 ES - 92 lavender - bought it 2008, every day car, winter-summer
480 ES - 90 red - bought it 1992
460 GLE - 91 red - over 20 years old and absolutely rustfree!
Lexus RX300 - 00

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Fuel pump 3 sec when ignition??

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 pm

the noise you SHOULD hear is the pump priming the system

there are a pair of relays tucked up above the steering column on a right hand drive car and one is fuel pump relay, is the fuse box on the LEFT side of a LHD ? if not then not sure where they would have mounted these two relays, or maybe still on the RHS (as you face forwards) but access when remove the glove box?

(i can't remember what the other one is) have look and see if it clicks when you turn the key, if it doesn't click that might be your problem?

you could try a direct feed from a 'known' good supply to the fuel pump as a temporary measure to see if the wiring & relay is ok
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Fuel pump 3 sec when ignition??

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:25 am

I had the same problem on my 460T.
The pump only ran after cranking.

I never fully got to the bottom of it, although wiggling the two relays described above did get it started.
Still plays up though, from time to time :(

In my experience (although it does differ by year) the pump will prime for a couple of seconds with ignition on, then will click back on when the ecu sees the engine turning by cranking the starter.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!