Need photo of back of dash / instrument panel *fixed*

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

TheHucknalls
480 Newbie

Need photo of back of dash / instrument panel *fixed*

Post by TheHucknalls » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Hey Guys,

Does anyone happen to have a spare instrument panel laying about? We've been pulling parts of our car to repair and noticed the small pcb on the back (under the white thing) has a burnt resistor or two. I'm going to attempt to replace them but the the coloured bands have burnt off, so i can't identify its resistance :bla: :nuts: . With a bit of luck maybe this obvious repair can breathe life into our non functional info centre.

I know the circuit boards will differ from car to car but any photos will help. I'll identify if it matches up my end.

Cheers
Brad
Last edited by TheHucknalls on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Need photo of back of dash / instrument panel

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:27 pm

what is your cars year of manufacture ?

does it have an air bag ?

does it have an info centre.

Note there are 2 pcbs in the instrument pod the large one and a smaller one the smaller one has a number printed on it .

What is the number of the pcb as I have a selection of these and can photograph or post up the colour codes but dont want to waste my time unnecessarily as i am still very busy just now.
:)

TheHucknalls
480 Newbie

Post by TheHucknalls » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:55 pm

Hey Jim,

It's a 1991 ES model with an info centre but no air bag (Not sure about the air bag tbh). I'm looking at the smaller pcv with the number 5 658 printed on the back next to a H with a circle and on the business side it has a little yellow sticker on it with 06/91 260 C.

Heres a picture of the section of the board i'm working on. I'm going to replace the 2 blow caps, diode and hopefully the resistor with the burnt off markings :(. I figured it's worth a shot trying repairing myself instead of resigning it to the scrapheap and getting another board on ebay or paying quite a bit to get a professional to refurb the thing. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: Nope wait... annoyingly I still can't post pictures yet due to being new and looking like spam. lol.

Thanks

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:08 pm

I will pm you my email address so you can send me the picture. :D

TheHucknalls
480 Newbie

Re: Need photo of back of dash / instrument panel *fixed*

Post by TheHucknalls » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I thought i'd share our success story.

We managed to identify all the parts, ordered them in from the darkest corners of the interwebs, soldered them in and prayed it would work. Unfortunately after refitting, the infocentre was still not working :nuts:. After deeper investigation we noticed the metal pins that go from the infocentre to the big pcb had oxidised. After this crap has been scraped off and the panel refitted, it worked! The infocentre worked! :)

I then spent a whole day driving around trying to get the odd halogen bulb... this must of blown due worn out/weak contacts on the pcb (also repaired). I found one in a small auto centre in the end. The bloke hadn't sold that type of bulb for 15 years, had one left and the packing was vintage!

Van
480 Connoisseur

Re: Need photo of back of dash / instrument panel *fixed*

Post by Van » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Congratulations!
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0