Fuel pump problems?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

robwizard
Started learning about 480

Fuel pump problems?

Post by robwizard » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:33 pm

So I was clogging up my diary thread with questions and it was steering way off course.. I have a no start problem. Changed the dissy cap and rotor arm and am now getting a spark on all four cylinders, the airway is completely clear so it's likely a fuel problem?

In the Haynes it says that when I turn the ignition on I should hear a whirring or buzzing noise from the rear seats, I don't hear this when I turn the ignition on.. but if I try and start it and then switch the ignition off I can clearly hear a loud whirring from the fuel pump. I have been trying to locate the correct relay to check it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere :( Doesn't seem to be behind the glove box (though I did find a suspicious Ford relay lurking around..) And I can't seem to find the relay box under the steering wheel that others have suggested..? Any ideas?

Cheers

POE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: Fuel pump problems?

Post by POE » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi ' i had similiar problems with mine and nothing associated with fuel pump 'mines an 89 turbo and doesnt make ' a noise until turning key ' relays on mine are under right hand side near fuse box ( two together) my problem was cold start sensor as could yours be ' hope this helps
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit

Robou

Post by Robou » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Some ECU's activate the fuel pump relay when the motor is turning at 45 rpm. This is a safety precaution.
If you hear the pump better check the fuel line, especially the filter.
Never heard of the presence of a cold start sensor.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

POE

Post by POE » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:51 am

Maybe used the wrong description but meaning temp sensor under dizzy cap with the one wire
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit

robwizard
Started learning about 480

Post by robwizard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Found the relays but they all look the same haha.. gonna test all of them tomorrow..

Cheers

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:03 pm

both my 1800 (E) & 2litre (L) I have always heard the fuel pump run up for a few seconds when key at position 2, then wait until pump goes 'quiet' before try the starter, fires up straight off as then the injectors all pressurised BEFORE engine starts cranking
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1