Wiring looms

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Slash01
Knows where Volvo is from

Wiring looms

Post by Slash01 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi, I have a 480 S and I want to install some front fog lights. I was wondering if the wires for them would already be there or if I would have to wire them up.
I guess what I'm asking is whether Volvo used a different wiring loom for the S as it's the only model without the info centre and front fog lights.
and is there an easy way that doesn't involve scrounging around in the rain and snow under the bumper looking for tucked away wires, I suppose removing the switches where the front fog switch would be and looking for any stray connector/wires is an option.

Thanks.
There are always ample warnings and there are always subtle signs,
And you would have seen them coming but we gave you too much time.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Wiring looms

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:24 pm

In the S model you will have a double bank of switches instead of the triple . Tracing the wires back from there is a TOTAL waste of time ! :wall:

simply look under the front of the car and search back from there you should have the same loom as the non S model but the extra connections should be tucked up beside the other wiring to the DRLs .

The S model will have a double bank of switches I can provide a triple so that is no problem.
The info centre is replaced by 2 analogue gauges .
The front underside is different with the fog light "spaces" filled in .

Your biggest problem is finding a pair of foglights :bla:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Oops if you are still having problems then I can trace back on mines to where the wiring joins the loom.

But recently I have been so busy at work I dont have much time to spare beyond a quick check of the forum on a daily basis so some requests from forum members have gone by the board.

Slash01
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Slash01 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:35 pm

thanks Jim for the fast reply.

I might be able to get some front fogs quite soon, hence the question. I'm glad to know the wiring should be there.
yes your right about the two switches instead of three. The other is just a blank.
I would be interested in the correct switches. As well as the correct amp fuse and the location and type of relay. I'll pm you about this and any other questions I might have if I get the fogs.

Thanks, again. Ashley
There are always ample warnings and there are always subtle signs,
And you would have seen them coming but we gave you too much time.