diagnostics box problem?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

DanDCowan
Started learning about 480

diagnostics box problem?

Post by DanDCowan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:39 pm

hello, im a bit stuck on this, MOT is due in about 2 weeks, a few months ago the ABS light came on, this was after I had some problems with the battery dying over night with the aftermarket stereo plugged in, ive removed the stereo after the ABS light came on and it sorted out the battery dying, but the ABS light remained on, ive just had a go at reading the codes on the diagnostics box and returned these codes:
port 5: 4-4-2/4-5-2
port 2: 1-1-1 :D
port 7: 2-1-2 (which i think is related to the SRS, code says there is an open circuit in the steering wheel module)
and port 3... port 3 stays constantly dimly light and pressing the button lights up the led fully but wont continue to give me a code read out, ive tried holding the button between 1-3 seconds and around 5 seconds to try and reset, but still no flashing, i know the laws have changed and the ABS light on is an MOT fail so i need it sorted pretty quick, however im at a loss, so any help would be greatly received, thank you in advance. Dan :wall:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: diagnostics box problem?

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:27 pm

To reset the codes disconnect the battery for a while (at least 30 mins )

DanDCowan

Post by DanDCowan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:23 am

thanks jim, thats handy to know, but that does tell me that these are something to address as the battery was out for a full charge from flat after i removed the stereo so they will come back im guessing, as for the ABS light could it be a case of cleaning the sensors? i read somewhere they are likely to break on removal? dont really want to fork out for a new one... or 4... not for that price anyway

Also any ideas what might be causing the dim led on the diagnostics box when plugged in to the ABS port? would be helpful if i could get the codes to know whats wrong

DanDCowan

Post by DanDCowan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:25 am

Also Jim, you wouldnt happen to have an alternator going would you? i bought a brand new 75 amp one by mistake and it doesnt fit :( i need one for the 95 2.0 celebration

svenska axel

Post by svenska axel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:10 pm

i have an alternator, nearly new. have you sourced one yet.