Alternator swap...

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

DanDCowan
Started learning about 480

Alternator swap...

Post by DanDCowan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:55 pm

HELLO! ive been locked out of my account for a while now, but back on to pester people a bit more, because i know nothing about cars lol

anyway, my alternator hasnt been charging properly... getting between <12v and 13.8v on a good day, so i got a new one, managed to get the old one out today and realized that the terminals are different... I was wondering if i could have some help finding out what wire goes where? its a 1995 2.0 Celebration

so heres a picture of the old one:

so the 3 wires going to the old alternator are a think red one that goes to the larger bolt on the alternator, the thin red one that goes to the spade connector and the brown one that goes to the smaller bolt
(I'm also wondering if anyone can help me with the yellow wire in the picture... it goes out of frame at the bottom of the picture but look to have been cut/snapped anyone know where this should be?)

And heres the new one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-440-460 ... 5341378%26

it has letters that ive labeled next to each connector, im guessing they all go back in as the last one would have been? (big red wire to the big "B+" bolt, small red to the "L" connector and the brown to the "W"bolt) but the connector is different and seems to have 2 pins on the "L" connector? have i ordered the wrong alternator? will it work regardless if it is wrong? Thanks in advance guys!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Alternator swap...

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Why not ask the seller ?

Had a look at my daughters 480 the alternator is a 70 v one I would reckon to connect to the terminal that is in the same position as the old single one but its just a guess.

DanDCowan

Post by DanDCowan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 pm

good idea, it says this one is a 75 amp one... do you think this will be too much? i dont want to blow things :?

DanDCowan

Post by DanDCowan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 am

Any idea where the yellow wire should be?

Espada

Post by Espada » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:47 pm

As long as it physically fits it will be fine.

The voltage regulator will handle the voltage and the charge will be dependant on the demand, yes its capable of a greater output but it should be fine. After all, the battery is capable of pumping out several hundred amps which is demonstrated if you are daft enough to drop a spanner over the battery terminals shorting it out, don't try it.

Terminals
B Battery - Big red
L lamp - Small red
W phase -Brown

As Glasgowjim notes by all means contact the seller for final confirmation to give you piece of mind.

So for the yellow one, I also have said spare wire so forget it. I am sure there was post on here somewhere in which it noted it related to the oil sensor / gauge or something in that area.

Regards

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:48 pm

I second the guess that the yellow wire is the extra one which needs connecting to the oil pressure sensor to make the oil pressure guage work
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

DanDCowan

Post by DanDCowan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:59 pm

thanks everyone, the alternator didnt fit in the end, so just cleaned up the old one, was getting 13.8 volts, but after driving for a while it dropped down to where it was before <12-13... going to try and get a replacement one from the seller as it was listed for the 480 2.0 will keep you posted :D