Pop-up problems

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timcoleman420
480 Newbie

Pop-up problems

Post by timcoleman420 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Good afternoon all,

I purchased the yellow beast from 480clone and i'm having a bit of trouble with the pop-ups.

I aquired a new relay and when i put it in, the passenger side headlight comes up and down, but goes up when it should be off and down when it should be up. I have seen on here about taking the nose cone off and adjusting the position manually so i guess I can fix that.

The drivers side however is a different story. The motor seems fine as i can move it with the thumb screw, no problem. If i press the bonnet latch in and move the thumb screw it will go so far and then the electrics kick in and nearly take my hand off, the headlight goes up and then back down. There is a cable behind the light by the thumb screw that seems to be unplugged. Can anyone tell me if this is the problem? Or if something else is going on?

I can't link an image for some stupid reason. It's a small rectangular plug with two wires coming out of it. I've had a poke around and can't see where it should go.

Thanks in advance guys!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Pop-up problems

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:41 pm

The headlamp position is 180 degrees out so you are up when the other is down is easy to fix just loosen the arm where it is held on to the motor spindle and move it 180 degrees ( put it on the other side ) and your problem is solved you can do this without taking the nose cone off. Refer to my recent how to change front bilbs and you will get a better idea of how to do this.

its here ... http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=34025

oh you need 10 posts before you can put up pics. :D

If the cable block is small and white plastic with 2 thin wires check it has not come off the float sensor in the screen washer tank.

timcoleman420
480 Newbie

Post by timcoleman420 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:00 pm

glasgowjim wrote:The headlamp position is 180 degrees out so you are up when the other is down is easy to fix just loosen the arm where it is held on to the motor spindle and move it 180 degrees ( put it on the other side ) and your problem is solved you can do this without taking the nose cone off. Refer to my recent how to change front bilbs and you will get a better idea of how to do this.

its here ... http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=34025

oh you need 10 posts before you can put up pics. :D

If the cable block is small and white plastic with 2 thin wires check it has not come off the float sensor in the screen washer tank.

Sorry to be a pain. So if the spare plug is for the float sensor, would you know why the drivers side headlight doesn't want to pop-up?
When i fist put the relay in, it moved up and down once and then satyed like that.
Very confusing.
I'm suspecting the relay i bought is ok as it does appear to pop up but only when i'm twiddling the manual screw does it kick in. The motor also seems to be ok as it raises and lowers manually without any effort.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 pm

right do a check on the popup motor wiring like this .

1 raise bonnet and put a screwdriver in the bonnet latch to push the microswitch back and jam it there. You will hear the microswitch click.

2 remove the relay for the popups and bridge the left hand popup connection with a bit of wire if the popup motor is ok then the headlamp will go up and down ..... if not then the motor is at fault and is on the way out.

svenska axel
Started learning about 480

Post by svenska axel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:31 pm

left hand motor thats out of phase could the new relay wired opposite way round somehow, unless someone put the mechanism back 180 out.
the rhs motor has malfunctioning switching internally most probably. a bit like a wiper motor on intermittent, there are circular electrical tracks on the big gear wheel with breaks at certain points and pickup contacts that power the lift motor, hence when it reaches the gap in the track it stops at the top. one does the lift the other does the lower. when the grease dries out and things get dirty and corroded the contacts start playing up. when you turn it manually you are moving past the bad spot on the track when it finds a good contact it powers away. what happens when you do it with the light switch turned on, it should stay up, it maybe coming straight down because you have the lights turned off when you turn the thing, or it could be something else.

timcoleman420
480 Newbie

Post by timcoleman420 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks for all your help guys. I have now tried two relays and still the drivers side headlight is not moving an inch. Next step is sourcing a replacement known working motor and replacing it.

Thanks again!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:35 pm

If the popup will not work when the relay is removed and the connections bridged then the popup motor is goosed simples !

timcoleman420
480 Newbie

Post by timcoleman420 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:55 pm

What kind of wire would you recommend for bridging the connections Jim?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Any thickish wire would do. You must have a bit of household flex lying around just cut a bit off one of the inner wires (blue or brown or even the green and yellow . Twist the ends so that you dont get any stray whiskers of wire and use that. The connections are are shwon on the relay body. Dont worry the worst you can do is blow a fuse it is impossible to do any damage so have a go . :D

gentlegiant
480 Newbie

Post by gentlegiant » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:05 pm

I too am having pop-up issues suddenly. Basically with the key turned (though not necessarily the ignition on) the headlights do the whole mexican wave thing continuously, until I pop them up with the switch, at which point they stay still and up, and there's a buzzing noise coming from the switch area. Otherwise they seem to work fine in terms of actually lighting up. Any ideas?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:22 pm

check the buzzing sound out the relay box is behind the dash and it could very well be the popup relay which is causing the problem. The back of the relay box is behind the dash the rest of it is in the rngine bay . Pop the bonnet and standing in front of the drivers side road wheel the relay box is the black triangular plastc box to the left below the windscreen.

Dont know which relay is which then go to the 480 club europe home page and scroll down to "downloards " click on that and scroll down there are 2 descriptions of the relays.

gentlegiant
480 Newbie

Post by gentlegiant » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:07 am

Thanks a lot - I'll try that in the morning and let you know my progress. Fingers crossed

gentlegiant
480 Newbie

Post by gentlegiant » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:54 am

OK, so I couldn't wait till the morning... my 480 is a '94, so it's the second diagram (relaybox_fusebox_layout) that applies. At first I followed the other and took out what I thought was the pop-up relay and it made no difference to the beep/buzz. So I did some trial and error with the other relays and found that when I removed relay letter G (Inhibitor, Headlight Dim-Dip System) the beep/buzz stopped. The problem with the lights popping up and down Mexican wave style (without the ignition on) remains, and when I turn on the headlights they freeze where they are. So maybe this means it's this relay that's at fault and it needs replacing? Or any other suggestions? Your help is really appreciated...