Info Centre and Speedo - where to start?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dancing Demon
480 Newbie

Info Centre and Speedo - where to start?

Post by Dancing Demon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:59 pm

I know there are many excellent threads on here regarding the above, and I will confess that I don't want to take the dash apart unless I really, really have to!

Just trying to find out what is most likely, and the best place to start............

The issue is as follows:

On buying the car (480 Celebration Auto) the info centre was intermittent i.e. kicked in after 5 miles, and the more the car was used, the more reliable it got to the point that it worked ok on starting.

The car then wasn't used for about six weeks, battery went flat and the info centre has never worked since.

Last Sunday, on driving away from home the rev counter failed, (first time in my ownership) but started working again within 100 yards of setting off and has been fine since.

However on starting the car to drive home, the speedo didn't work, and hasn't worked since. (On a previous 480 prior to alternator/battery change every time the speedo failed, operating the rear wash wipe kicked it back in to life!!!)

Have checked fuses, and also checked the connector by the battery for the speedo centre which is showing a resistance of about 3ohm. Have also cleaned the connectors on the alternator.

All suggestions gratefully received - unsure as to how good the battery is, however it starts the car perfectly? Showing around 12.8v and about 13.7 when running.

There are a lot of references to the earths by the alternator, but probably me being thick, I cannot see them?

Also where is the speedo sensor on the 2.0l auto?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Re: Info Centre and Speedo - where to start?

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Chris,

Have you tried giving the top of the dashboard a wee whack?

Firstly, I've no idea on the rev counter front, but presumably it was a dodgy connection somewhere as it came back pretty quick.

I had an infocentre problem where there was no backlighting, if you shone a torch on the display at the correct angle you could see that it was displaying the information. See this thread:
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 12&t=33097
It is the earth(s?) on the alternator which case this problem. From what you've said about intermittent speedo/infocentre I would be surprised if these are your problem.

Sounds more like a poor connection somewhere. On Lula I found that the multiplug on the back of the instrument cluster could work a little loose. If you lie with your head in the footwell it is easy enough to reach up to the back of the dash, give the plugs a wiggle/push them in. This often solved any speedo problems I had.

As for the infocentre, if its displaying gobbledigoop then the most likely culprit (in my experience) is the five metal prongs which are the connections between the infocentre unit and the pcb of the instrument cluster. Of course another common reason would be a dodgy solder joint on the aforementioned pcb.

It's actually surprisingly easy to take the dash apart, instructions:
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=14976

Hope that all helps a little?
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Oh, and in answer to your speed sensor location question, it is located in/on the gearbox. There is a picture in this link:
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=18749
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

carl480es
480 Newbie

Post by carl480es » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Brilliant link to removing dash panel. I have been dreading getting at my speedo, now it looks straightforward thanks to those pictures (why do Haynes manuals make things look complicated).

Thanks

Carl

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 pm

cos they are rubbish :roll: