Change Speedometer for S40?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

DanDCowan
Started learning about 480

Change Speedometer for S40?

Post by DanDCowan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:57 am

Does anyone know if it would be that hard to change the original speedo from the 480 to that of a similar one, with info centre? like those on an S40

i know the housing isnt the same shape and it would require removing it from the housing and squeezing it in to the 480 housing but what about the connectors? i imagine they are different and i could change the blocks to fit, but is there any wires that are missing from it or extra ones? obviously theres the digi clock and mileometer but im really just after the info centre panel although the whole thing would be nice, they are going for about £15-£30 on eBay as a posed to the £50 480 one thats on there

pgmm
480 Newbie

Re: Change Speedometer for S40?

Post by pgmm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Forget the S40 stuff, use 480 stuff!

If it is just about the info center, get one, rather than the complete instruments cluster. The speedos typically fail first, so there must be plenty of info centers lying around. If you currently have analogue gauges for temp and tank, you will need to acquire and install various additional sensors.
To be continued...
Peter
-----------------------------
1986 Volvo 480es red 217
1987 Volvo 480es blue 219 (sold)
1993 Volvo 480 turbo automatic red 235 (project)