Info centre- Engine temperature & external temperature

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Info centre- Engine temperature & external temperature

Post by timrosser » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi, after my recent repair & spray work my info centre has suddenly stopped giving a reading for the external temperature- it always comes up at -40. It had stopped giving an engine temperature some time ago- but I can still see how things are with the oil temp, est distance, mgg, mpg ave etc so I assume the info centre is ok?

Also, although my speedo & rev counter are fine, my odometer (that is the thing that counts the mileage right?) and the mini- resettable odometer have stopped working. This happened around the time that the external temperature gave up. So it may be one two or three problems, so any advice much appreciated!

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: Info centre- Engine temperature & external temperature

Post by chriskay » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:00 pm

The -40 reading of ext. temp. indicates open circuit. Maybe just the lead disconnected at the sensor behind the front grille.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:07 pm

It is as Chris said but if you cant find a broken wire it may then be a faulty sensor( Plenty of those around. ;) ) but I would go with a broken wire first.

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I think I may have spotted that very lead- looks a bit like a usb one but a touch wider? Thanks guys- I might be on later asking where I should plug it in if I cant find it!

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 pm

timrosser wrote:I think I may have spotted that very lead- looks a bit like a usb one but a touch wider? Thanks guys- I might be on later asking where I should plug it in if I cant find it!
Doesn't sound right. From memory it will be round and have 2 wires. Unless, of course, there's more than one type of sensor.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi guys, the position of the actual sensor is proving a challenge, any ideas where & what I should be looking for?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:43 pm

External temp sensor is located on the front grille below the badge . Small black and round.

Engine temp sensor : standing facing the distributor cap it is round the right hand side of engine block (single push on wire)

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 pm

I love you Jim!!! Thanks so much!