ECU's got Wet, now no fuel pump prime..helllllp!!!

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

cliogerbil
480 Newbie

ECU's got Wet, now no fuel pump prime..helllllp!!!

Post by cliogerbil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi

I haven't posted on here for a while but i need some help please. during a downpour recently, the compartment the ECU's are kept in got wet and so did the ECU's. I now don't get any fuel coming through so I don't think the pump is priming. Is this ECU controlled?

I have an ECU with a green label on it. The other one is black but I assume they all are. What do you think my options might be? Is there a way of testing it or does it sound knackered?

Thanks in advance

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: ECU's got Wet, now no fuel pump prime..helllllp!!!

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 pm

open up and make sure they are thourghly dry. then try again.

what car are they in.

cliogerbil
480 Newbie

Post by cliogerbil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:42 pm

oh so its not definately totally dead yet then?. What do you suggest i dry it with. A hairdryer or something similar?

The engine is in a Clio Mk1. It came out of another Clio which had already been converted.

ClioRSiTurbo
Started learning about 480

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:02 pm

If you need them I've got both the ECU's as I'm breaking my turbo. I've been told its been rich modded but cannot garuantee it as the car was also running a manual boost controller. If you find you need it let me know in a pm

cliogerbil
480 Newbie

Post by cliogerbil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi mate. If you could hold them for me i'm going to be attempting to dry mine out on Wednesday and see what happens. I would prefer a richmodded one anyway to be honest as i don't think mine is and i want to run more boost. Do you know what psi you have been running at?

Also are your ECU's green as i know the colours are a nightmare to match up.

cheers

ClioRSiTurbo

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't think it matters if you just have both of my ecu's... As they would match but if I'm wrong someone should correct me.

Erm regarding boost I was running 15psi in 1st 2nd and 3rd but in 4th and 5th 17.5psi as the cars actuator could of done with being set up a little better... In bar that's 1.0 bar and 1.2 in 5th

Like I said though that was with a manual boost controller fitted in place fooling the cars electronic boost controller... I melted two engines pistons, hense me breaking the car i love it but ive had enough. I was going to put the engine in my rsi hence the name but decided to keep the 480 as it was... Now its back to the N/A clio rsi. first time was because the cold air feed with the maf sensor came loose and dropped off the turbo therefore running lean. The second time, and engine.... I melted two pistons this time but my dad seems to think my Cambelt slipped a tooth, I had two bent valves so sounds highly possible.... I wouldn't run with a MBC personally... Try my ecus though, I've been told they're rich modded by previous owner but don't trust unless I see proof...

Oh I've got something you might like... I've got two black diamond Kevlar stage 2 clutches (fast road) ones brand new ones got about 800 miles use.... I paid 550 for the two and have receipts.... Ones for the pre 91 engine and one for the 92 onwards...

I can keep them until the sell mate but no ones asked for them yet...

cliogerbil
480 Newbie

Post by cliogerbil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

thanks for clearing that up mate. i'm sure both will work together if they've worked before. How much do you want for the ECU's? i'll have a think about the clutch also.

ClioRSiTurbo

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm not sure to be honest mate.... I need to research what they sell for and what they're worth you know. Regarding the clutch do you know what size one is in yours, the early 200mm or later 215mm? I've got a 16v bonnet too if yours still has the standard RSI bonnet... I just wanna claw back some of the couple grand ive spent... So if you did want a clutch I'd do a very fair price....

cliogerbil
480 Newbie

Post by cliogerbil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:22 pm

i'm not sure on the clutch size to be honest as i've never had the box off and the setup came from a running donor car. If you check out a price for the ECU's ill know after Wednesday what i need to do.

With regards to the bonnet, i have a fibreglass one. Heres the car as it is now (WIP) and below is a pic of what it used to look like. Its going Yellow and Carbon this time.

Kez
480 Newbie

Post by Kez » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 am

I'd put the ecu somewhere warm for a day or so. On top of your boiler? or a linen cupboard?

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:03 pm

cliogerbil wrote:i'm not sure on the clutch size to be honest as i've never had the box off and the setup came from a running donor car. If you check out a price for the ECU's ill know after Wednesday what i need to do.

With regards to the bonnet, i have a fibreglass one. Heres the car as it is now (WIP) and below is a pic of what it used to look like. Its going Yellow and Carbon this time.

How dare you contaminate this forum with pictures of that monstrosity? :o

BTW, where's Tamwoth?
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

ClioRSiTurbo

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 pm

I like the wheels... let me know if you need my ecus... tamworth is near walsal and birmingham I believe

cliogerbil
480 Newbie

Post by cliogerbil » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 pm

sorry i'm sure its not to everyone's tastes especially on this forum..lol.

Ill let you know about the ECU's mate. i'm drying mine out as we speak so will try them again tomorrow. If nothing happens then i will have yours..depending on price of course. If nothing else it will be good to have a spare set just in case for any future issues. I will let you know for definite tomorrow evening. Did you come up with a price?

cheers

ClioRSiTurbo

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Will pm you now

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:51 am

ClioRSiTurbo wrote:I like the wheels... let me know if you need my ecus... tamworth is near walsal and birmingham I believe
Yes, I know where Tamworth is; I agree it's not far from Walsall (not walsal), I was asking where Tamwoth was. :D
And why does no-one bother to use upper case letters any more?
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

ClioRSiTurbo

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 am

chriskay wrote:
ClioRSiTurbo wrote:I like the wheels... let me know if you need my ecus... tamworth is near walsal and birmingham I believe
Yes, I know where Tamworth is; I agree it's not far from Walsall (not walsal), I was asking where Tamwoth was. :D
And why does no-one bother to use upper case letters any more?
Haha sorry... I misread quite a bit there... shh lol :)

cliogerbil
480 Newbie

Post by cliogerbil » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 pm

no idea what has gone on tonight but i put the ECU's back in..still nothing, then tried to do some sort of bypass which got me nowhere. Then i messed about with a few wires and connectors making sure they were all on properly....then just as I was about to give up and go and order the new ECU's...she fired up and has been fine since..weird. I'm assuming a loose connection was the cause.

ClioRSiTurbo

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Like I said in my pm mate. Glad to hear it's running again. Nothing worse than a car that won't start.

For anyone else reading this got 2 ecu's for sale. Told they richmodded but cannot gaurantee as I had manual boost controller fitted also but it boosted like hell without the manual boost controller on its minimum setting.

Fuel and turbo ecu as a pair £80

Pm me if interested :)