Info Centre on and off

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

mozz
480 Newbie

Info Centre on and off

Post by mozz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:21 am

Hi, My info centre is playing up again. It's good for about 20 miles then switches off. Light stays on and if I bang the dash it comes back on for a little bit. My Dash surround is not the snug due to some broken clips but when pushed back seems to turn info centre on. Any ideas anyone?

Many Thanks

Van
480 Connoisseur

Re: Info Centre on and off

Post by Van » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:56 am

That may be a bad connection somewhere. Don't keep banging it.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 am

Probably the two multi plugs at the back. Take them off and give them a squirt of contact cleaner before replacing them.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

JohnB
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by JohnB » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:39 am

also check for dry or cracked solder joints worth checking all joints when dismantled and also clean all pins
had to do this on both my cars and had no problem since
also the two connection plugs are very hard to get back in to the back on the clocks
its so much easier if you remove the grey surround for access

DrewSavage
480 Newbie

Post by DrewSavage » Wed May 09, 2012 11:17 pm

I have a similar problem with mine. Seems to be worse in cold or wet weather. It works most of the time, sometimes it gets 'stuck' on one reading / setting and when you turn the dial to change it, nothing happens - it stays stuck on 'engine' or 'oil' or whatever until it decides to start working again.

Sometimes all the lights on the info centre come on at once, the green and red ones on the dial around the outside and all the warning lights and fuel gauge and everything - but it always goes back to normal again before long.

Driving from Preston to Staffordshire tonight, the whole thing was off the whole way, which is the longest time it's ever done that for.

The 'range' and 'mpg' functions have never worked since I've acquired the car, back in July.

Is it likely to be a CEM issue? Or might a squirt of contact cleaner solve this?
Owner of a 1991 Volvo 480ES.

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 pm

It will not be CEM related-I expect.

Try the contact cleaner, you could also give the all metal prong contact recievers (you'll see what I mean if you take the instrument binacle appart) a fine sand to remove oxides too.

If you still dont have avg speed/mpg readings then the infocentre is not getting the speed data. I guess that means there is a dodgy joing somewhere on the binacle's pcb, but others might have a better idea
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()