480 ES won't start - instrument panel goes crazy

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

pgmm
480 Newbie

Re: 480 ES won't start - instrument panel goes crazy

Post by pgmm » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Which is exactly where the ECU gets its earth connection from...
To be continued...
Peter
-----------------------------
1986 Volvo 480es red 217
1987 Volvo 480es blue 219 (sold)
1993 Volvo 480 turbo automatic red 235 (project)

whitepk
480 Newbie

Post by whitepk » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks, Peter. That's really useful information. Only had my 480 for a few months and still working things out!

Ulrika480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Ulrika480 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Rather than start another thread, this carries lots of history, but I though I'd add a bit re the Earth checks to what Jim etc had already said:-

1)Had my car MOT'd (straight through no problem) and after 30 mins on the motorway on the way from the garage, the tacho and speedo needles started pulsing at fairly random readings.
2) Did a day's work then neither dial worked for half an hour.
3) Booted the car on the motorway and suddenly they sprung into steady life and then back to pulsing again.
4) Then had the battery charging light starting pulsing.

Reason for the post is that this all happened a few months back - and I found an earth wire near the alternator (not the one on the top of the engine) loose / frayed. I've looked at the car tonight and the same earth wire is now attached by two strands of copper. The wire is taped to other heavier wires / connectors which I think gradually pull the wire away from the screw it should be attached to.

Here's hoping - will have a look again at the weekend - just another tip for others to look at. :o