Headlights problem

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Sirius
480 Newbie

Headlights problem

Post by Sirius » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi, i seem to have a problem with my volvo 480.
if i turn on the headlights both of them pop up at once but the one on the left side (driver side) goes down again then up an stays up. if i remove the plug from the right side headlight, and turn it on, the left one pops up only one time, and stays up.

please excuse my english, i`m from roumania! :D

Sirius
480 Newbie

Re: Headlights problem

Post by Sirius » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:14 pm

a few days ago i changed the motor for the right headlight. and after that operation the left headlight started going crazy.

could it be that i de-sinchronized them, one of them staying "closed" and the other opened but the headlight "closed"?

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Do you have the correct-and matched-drl bulbs?

Also, do a search on the forum for popup headlights-you'll see load of suggestions
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:01 pm

If one headlight is up when the other is down it is a simple thing to repair. You loosen the connecting nut for the arm to the motor spindle and move it 180 degrees round retighten and the headlamps will now move in synchronisation.

Sirius
480 Newbie

Post by Sirius » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:11 pm

how do i upload a movie. i tried to post a link to youtube showing how the headlights work. but im not allowed to post url, or something.

the movie o youtube is called " volvo 480 headight problem"

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:41 pm

pm me the link and I will post it up for you.

you need 10 posts before you can post links.

Sirius
480 Newbie

Post by Sirius » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeI3mRpBcMI

i still coud not find the source of my headlight problem.
i see i can now post links, so take a look at the video posted, and i hope you will find a fix for my problem!

thanks!

pgmm
480 Newbie

Post by pgmm » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:49 am

I also have a problem with my blue 480: both headlights pop up as expected but the left headlight never goes down again. I had to understand the workings to solve the problem.

In my car it turned out the "go down"-signal is only connected to the right hand motor and not to the left hand motor. As there is only one wire from the light switch, there must be a split to two wires somewhere, which is where the left wire is probably loose. I suspect the red connector near the fuse box, but I haven't found time to check and reconnect it yet...

The headlight motors have 5 connections and are basically controlled by two lines: BLUE for up (+12V if headlights ON, connector 56 on headlight switch), RED for down (+12V if headlights are OFF, even if ignition is OFF, connector M on the light switch). The up or down signal is mechanically interrupted after the motor makes 180 degrees.
The BLUE or RED line (when not mechanically interrupted) is connected to the WHITE line which activates the pop-up relay which feeds +12V to both motors. When the UP or DOWN position is reached, the +12V (WHITE) is interrupted and the pop-up relay connects the motor feeds (GREEN) to GND. The other motor terminals (BROWN) are always connected to GND.

This effectively shortcuts the motor which stops it turning much faster than by just removing +12V. The motor is now acting as a generator and the more current you draw from a generator, the harder it is to turn. Shortcut takes maximum current from the "generator".

Your video suggests the left headlight motor does not brake properly when opening. You may want to check the earth connection (87a) to the pop-up relay - this provides the "brake" GND signal. The improvement you see when the right motor is disconnected also suggests the brake-GND is not good enough for both motors to stop in time.

Hope this helps - good luck!
Last edited by pgmm on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
To be continued...
Peter
-----------------------------
1986 Volvo 480es red 217
1987 Volvo 480es blue 219 (sold)
1993 Volvo 480 turbo automatic red 235 (project)

Sirius
480 Newbie

Post by Sirius » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 am

thak you, i will try that in a couple of days, because now there is a lot of snow.

any other suggestions...

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:25 pm

I had an issue where the LEFT light would NOT pop up although the RIGHT one did. (RIGHT HAND DRIVE)
The problem was the small warning in dash that warned you that you were on 'full beam' the bulb was OK just a faulty connector between the dashboard and the loom, two plugs grey & green on back of inst panel.
Check that when lights are UP you getteh warning light to come on, even if light do go to full beam
maybe not the fault but worth a look?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1