Dashboard/clock bulbs

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Diydes
480 Newbie

Re: Dashboard/clock bulbs

Post by Diydes » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi there,
I've just bought a 480 today, the bulbs seem to be gone on the centre console and the "bulb out" icon is illuminated on the dash. All exterior bulbs are fine (it would seem!) so I'm assuming it's the interior that's the issue. I'd like LED ones and to be honest I'm totally new to this and any help would be awesome!!

Thanks in advance.

Des

heavend
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by heavend » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:15 am

The 'bulb out' indicator is lit when the monitoring circuit detects an open circuit lamp. The lamp failure module is in the boot, on the left hand side ahead of the aerial near the wheel arch. It's sort of a dark red colour.
The module only monitors some external lamps - park lights, brake lights, day running lights by memory. The 'bulb out' lamp will light if one of those lamps is faulty.

spree
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by spree » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Yep the bulb out light is for exterior bulbs. Have you checked the brake lights properly as its obviously hard to check these without help.

I can sort you out with led courtesy bulbs if you want them.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:43 pm

if all bulbs out on dash check fuses first ;)

Can supply dash bulbs if needed.

oh there is a how to on removing dash in how to section :D

Diydes
480 Newbie

Post by Diydes » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks fellow 480(ers), is there a collective noun for us?

It would appear that when I brake and indicate at the same time those behind me are treated to a free disco show! I have sourced bulb holders and hope to fit them soon.

Spree I messages you on Facebook last night for advice as I like the look of the LED ones.

I couldn't see a how to on the forum but I am on a tablet and dashboard search only brings up this thread.

Thanks again for all your help.

Des

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:34 pm

heavend
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by heavend » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:50 am

The disco lights problem is almost certainly due to a faulty earth, there are two places to look and you have to remove a bit of trim to get a good look:
1. the earth point on the chassis, lh rear corner. It's like Stonehenge for want of a better description - 4 terminals standing upright and arranged in a square. Rust can be an issue here due to the 480s propensity for leaking
2. the earth connections on the lamp holder connector. By memory the central connector in the block is earth and they burn/corrode/go manky. This is fairly easily fixed by soldering a jumper over the connector - once it starts to burn/rust it will never be reliable.

Got a 480 and you will be chasing electrical faults and leaks forever. They make Alfas look well made. I've had 7 480s and they are all the same for leaks and weak electrics....and I can't imagine they're any better in Europe where the conditions are harsher.

Diydes
480 Newbie

Post by Diydes » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:16 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I will get it into my garage at the weekend and take the rear trim out, hopefully the new bulb holders will be here by then too. It has had the rear floor replaced as well as the back arches, I hope they haven't moved the earth!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:50 pm

If the earth has gone moved cant be found can supply the earth point for you it is a cheap part.