Replacing fan for heater/blower

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Replacing fan for heater/blower

Post by Ben Harris » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:59 pm

I know where it is, and to me, it looks particularly difficult to get at it (although I haven't yet tried). Mine's started making an irritating squeaking noise when it's on the lowest setting (which I usually leave it set to), and I can't get the little straw bit on the can of WD40 near enough to attack it with! :? I suspect that even if I remove it, the squeak will be terminal and I won't be able to do anything about it other than replace the fan. I'm heading to the scrapyard on Monday to scavenge a few bits, and thought I'd try and get one of these. Can anyone reassure me that it (hopefully) won't be to difficult to remove, and if it is, offer any tips?

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:05 pm

Doesn't the silence say enough mate............

:twisted: :wink:

It's behind the glove box but behind aload of wires, if you think thats bad you should see the heater matrix.

Read the book of lies............. :cry: :?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:28 am

Yeah... I figured that out (the hard way!). I tried getting at it from under the bonet, and once I discovered I couldn't took the glovebox out, took one look at it, and decided to forget it! I'll just put up with the squeak :?

TheXile
Started learning about 480

Heater blower

Post by TheXile » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:03 am

It's fairly easy Ben, but patience and alot of little coach bolts to undo before it will come out fully. One of the bolts looks impossible to remove, but all it needs is loosening. I recall it being approx "1 O'clock". Remove all the others, loosen this one and the motor will slide sideways out.
Just when you think it will move clear, the metal bar holding 2 relays gets in the way; move it !
Do it slowly and remember what went where, and about 1 1/2 hours.
Good luck
Gedda :shock:

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:13 pm

did it about two years ago. a lot of work, but relax, its not hard. in LHD its also behind the glove box. At that time it also made a noise, like worn bearings, but it was some debris, and shattered leaves causing the noise. glad i took it out anyway...

So advise: hold your horses, don't buy a new one yet, maybe its just a matter of adjusting the fan away a bit from a part thats causing the noise or something. If not, some grease will do wonders.

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen