Lights , Wipers , Door problems

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Lights , Wipers , Door problems

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:34 am

:angry:

The main bulbs (4X) in the dash are inop, I found that the infocenter light has blown so I'm going to get another bulb but all the other lights (speedo / revs) have gone out but the bulbs look fine.

The questions is. If one bulb blows should the others stop ? I have all the little light bulbs working but not the big ones.

Question 2, Wipers are not wiping all of the screen. They go over the screen but the blades do not touch in the middle of the wipes.
so i'm getting clean bottom / top of the screen but not in the middle.

Question 3, My drivers door will not stay open. Ideas?

Thanks for the input! :D :D
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:47 am

The door thing is the mechanism inside the door snapping off it's mountings (will need welding/rewelding).

I don't believe the dash lights are all on one circuit so if one goes the others should stay on.

The wipers are probably worn, or missaligned, check also that the blades have free movement and can bend to the shape of the screen
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:07 am

The door thing is the mechanism inside the door snapping off it's mountings (will need welding/rewelding).

I don't believe the dash lights are all on one circuit so if one goes the others should stay on.

The wipers are probably worn, or missaligned, check also that the blades have free movement and can bend to the shape of the screen
Should I see a broken thing when I open the door?

The wipers looks fine when parked.

Bloody bulbs
Audi TT

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:39 am

No, the broken part is inside the door, if you take the inside trim off you can see it (it's the part halfway down the door that bolts onto the body.

With regards to the wipers they may just need all the little joints lubricating (taking great care not to oil your windscreen!)
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

chriskay

Post by chriskay » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:56 am

I agree about the door. Mine has gone & needs the plate welding.
About the dash lights; they're in parallel, not series, so one failing won't take the others out. Sounds as if there is a break in the main feed or earth return. Could be a bad connection in one of the plugs at the back of the panel, or a break in one of the tracks on the board. While you're replacing the halogen bulb, try dismantling the main instrument panel board & inspecting for a crack in the tracks. Trouble with this is, you may have to un-solder some pins before the board will come off--not easy.
Good luck. Chris.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:21 pm

These 3 problems are a real pain in the arse. :angry:
Audi TT

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:50 pm

about the wipers: take them all off and bend their arm in the middle, so there will be more pressure on blades. just did that on mine's today. the problem is that the arm can't fold enough and blade is lifted from windscreen. this has happened on right wiper only.
or maybe your's are swaped? (the arms are marked L and R).

ByE!
'98 S40 T4, replacement vehicle, hardcore power
'86 480 ES, RIP :(
'91 480 Turbo, RIP :(
'93 480 2.0, RIP :(
'90 480 Turbo, hailed roof, fighting wounds, 260.000km, daily bolide :)
'81 345 GL cvt, waiting for a new life, 200.000km :)
'82 244 GL 2.4D 250.000km restoration project
[url]http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/bbfbbf/[/url]