Rev' counter has a thermal fault

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

tumbleweed1953
480 Newbie

Rev' counter has a thermal fault

Post by tumbleweed1953 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Hi,

I wonder if you guys know where the sensors are for the rev' counter.

In normal weather the counter is dead. In very cold weather the counter works just fine untill the engine comes upto temp then it dies.

It may be a fault in the ECM but is there an out board sensor for rev's.

Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Doug :cryhard:

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:05 pm

Check the ellectrics schedule on mr. dragons' site, check for the rev counters wires., find them in your car and inspect.

maybe a rev counter wire is of the very britlle speedo cable type... (shielded). if so, make new cable connection
I also have repaired some clocks', open the clockhouse, inspect the print at the inside, lots of 480 have hair cracks, especially in the welding of the connector pinns. Its all about connections. sensors failure is not that common

Alos seen a speedo clock with a messy , oxidated spot on the print I have cleaned them succesfully with a (tooth) brush and contactspray... prints can take more than you think.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

telegraphroad
Started learning about 480

Post by telegraphroad » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:38 am

oxidated spot on the print I have cleaned them succesfully with a (tooth) brush and contactspray... prints can take more than you think.

Well this might be good reason, the speedometer of my car doesn't work very well in cold rainy wether. When I hit the dashboard, (not to hard it hurts) it start to work fine.

Arnold
480Collection no 462 2.0i 1995
Dark Gey Metalic

Became a dashboard hero.

Volvo 480 Club EUROPE - www.volvo-480-europe.org

tumbleweed1953
480 Newbie

Thanks for the advice

Post by tumbleweed1953 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:02 am

Hi chaps,

I have th wiring schematic but have not managed to trace it all through yet but hopefully that will give me a clue.

Not sure about it being the PCB at the back of the rev' counter as damp seems to play no part it has to be sub zero outside to make it work. once the engine warms up it stops working again.

I will have a close look at the schematic on my next day off.

Best regards

Doug