intermittant wiper relay

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

stu
480 Newbie

intermittant wiper relay

Post by stu » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:34 pm

can anybody tell me which relay is for the front intermittant wipe and which is the rear, because my front intermittant wipe does not work, I was hoping to swap them over.

Michael 480T
480 Newbie

Re: intermittant wiper relay

Post by Michael 480T » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:05 pm

stu wrote:can anybody tell me which relay is for the front intermittant wipe and which is the rear, because my front intermittant wipe does not work, I was hoping to swap them over.
did you probably refit your acceleration cable?
the wipers are controlled by the CEM, changeing relays won't work

David Thornber
Started learning about 480

Post by David Thornber » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:14 pm

As above post says, changing accelerator cable often causes intermittent wipe not to work. See main club site FAQ. http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/cardata/faq/faq.html

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:17 pm

yep I agree... What michael means is that back then, as new, as switched on intermident, and flooring the car, it automatically switched over to fast wiping.

the front and rear wipers are in several ways connected, like working at the same time, (to prevent nervousness as volvo states) and working as in reverse.

download the electrical schedule and check the items in this circuit. It is a big chance its this switch on the throttle cable assy.

Not knowing all this years ago i bought a intermitend switch relay with a turnknob for timing and build it in. It adds some luxerory but i liked the original setting better
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

stu
480 Newbie

Post by stu » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:52 pm

Where is the switch located?

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:28 pm

remove black plastic panel above the pedals, sit with your head where your feel normally are(don't blame me if your back hurts ;) ), look up allong the throttle pedal.... it must be there i was told. Use search machine, was discussed well before
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

David Thornber

Post by David Thornber » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:08 am

The cars were fitted with a feature where, if on intermittent wipe, you floored the throttle pedal the wipers would turn onto full wipe.

This was operated by a switch on the throttle pedal. At some point, Volvo removed this feature and any replacement throttle cables don't have the switch built in to them.

The lack of intermittent wipe the wipers (mine acted as if they were switched to position 1 when intermittent was selected), is caused by the wires which would have originally been connected to the throttle cable switch being connected together, fooling the wipers into thinking the throttle cable is fully depressed.

As Volvofox has said, you'll need to lie on the drivers seat (upside down!), to look up underneath the dashboard to find the offending wires.

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:50 am

Someone had done modification on mine car. It has no switch ona trotle cable (gues it was renewed) and the wires wich goes to the switch are connected together. My intermittant wipers work.
I had a Volvo 345 for some time ago with CVT transmition, there was a switch on throtle cable for controling vacuum valves for a variomat. But this cable is a lot different then 480's. Maybe one could install a microswitch on a throtle body?

bYe!

David Thornber

Post by David Thornber » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:49 am

You're right bbf, I got it the wrong way round... Oops :wall: :oops:

kap
480 Newbie

Post by kap » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:23 pm

:shock: Hey guys ,
Who is right ??:hopping:
David Thornber wrote:...The lack of intermittent wipe the wipers (mine acted as if they were switched to position 1 when intermittent was selected), is caused by the wires which would have originally been connected to the throttle cable switch being connected together, fooling the wipers into thinking the throttle cable is fully depressed..
:rofl:
bbf wrote:Someone had done modification on mine car. It has no switch ona trotle cable (gues it was renewed) and the wires wich goes to the switch are connected together. My intermittant wipers work.
:wink: According your experience , should we connect together these wires to recover the intermittant wipers ?

:? I'd guess something is wrong in David case :( ......may wires look connect and aren't ?

:lol: your advice :dispute:
[b] Kap [/b][img]http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley-flag/smiley-9907.png[/img][b] Turbo 89 n° 539738 [/b][img]http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s22/smilies-6217.png[/img]

kingrichy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by kingrichy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:43 pm

The wires should be connected to make the intermittant wipe work.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:05 pm

bbf wrote:
I had a Volvo 345 for some time ago with CVT transmition, there was a switch on throtle cable for controling vacuum valves for a variomat. But this cable is a lot different then 480's. Maybe one could install a microswitch on a throtle body?

bYe!
bbf: i know some of this, i have a daf coupe with the same variomatic as a 340. but your 345 wasn't either a 2 liter, or it wasn't a variomatic. As far as I know a 345 is a two liter with the great longstroke swedish two liter engine. to my knowing it never had a variomatic, since it could not cope the forces. I had two 340's one hatch and one sedan, both with 1400's and available with variomatic ... explain ?

my daf has indeed a microswitch at the carburator (throttle) to handle the vacuumswitches that handle the "braking on engine", "mountain brake" or just plain shift down

If I am not mistaken Gerrsvolvo also knows a lot about the great variomatic.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:47 pm

mine is 1981 345 GL with renault 1.4 (B141E) engine and DAF variomatic.
I still have it. (but it is not on streats, will be restored soon).
I got an original CVT service manual from one nice person in Gotheburg (mailed me on his expences!) when i got trouble with CVT. There were 2 versions of full throtle switch (one on carburator - very early model, and on throtle cable - others) and 2 different shift levers - one earlier ugly old BMW like and one nice smooth like in mine. They also changed weights in clutch in some year - don't know when (must look in service manual).
and DAF did not have a differential in a transmission, the difference was compensated with "slippy belts". That's why DAF only made 20.000 km with one pair. CVT on a 3xx did 40.000 by factory recommendation but people did even 80.000. I had newer changed them and made 40.000km with it (don't know for his early servicing) and it still runs like the first day i've bought it. i only shifted primary an secondary units apart a little to get more tension on belts.

i'm off topic again..

Have i talked about 2 litre? Maybe the throtle body quote misslead you. I ment on a 480 to add a switch on it and connect to those 2 wires wich shul go on throtle cable switch...

bye!

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi everyone, my first post.

Picked up my new purchase, 480es 1989 1.7 auto, only 48000 miles, last week but been waiting for some daylight to start work.

Done some searching so was able to sort the long distance lights not working as they should at the weekend, was the switch by the heated seats. Also took lights out cleaned and resealed them.

To my problem and the reason for resurrecting this tread, the front intermittent wipe is not working, it works at normal speed, having searched found this tread but having looked at the throttle cable by the peddles it doesn't seem to have a switch (my back not too bad :lol: ) so maybe previous owner had new cable fitted.

In case it does still have one here exactly should it be?

What does it look like?

And if it has been removed what colour wires am I looking for to connect together?

Having read above believe it’s that way round and not wires to separate.

Any help would be gratefully received.

EoR
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Yipee !

someone who does a search first !!!!!!

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Done some more digging and managed to sort it out.

So for anyone with the same problem, or who is interested.

My age of car had a switch at the end of the cable (believe it was round and white with two spades) but it had been replaced at some point for a later cable when this feature was controlled by the ECU.

The wires that used to be connected to the switch need to be connected together or the intermittent wipe won’t work.

The colour of the two wires are white/brown and brown, they also have different spade sizes!!!!!! (on my car at least).

EoR
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

Slash01
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Slash01 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Until today I believed that the 480 didn't have an intermittent front wipe function. As on my car it is either on or fast.
I don't know if it's a fault with the switch on the throttle cable like mentioned in this thread or if its the stalk. The reason I think it might be the stalk is the there are only the two positions On or Fast, there is nothing before the On, but there is a lot of travel before reaching this position. Is this how the stalk is or is the intermittent position broken?

Also the rear wiper in position one only wipes once, in position two it wipes intermittently. Is this also normal?

I should mention that my car is a 1993(L) 1.7 480S.

Thanks, Ashley
There are always ample warnings and there are always subtle signs,
And you would have seen them coming but we gave you too much time.

svenska axel

Post by svenska axel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Slash01 wrote:Until today I believed that the 480 didn't have an intermittent front wipe function. As on my car it is either on or fast.
I don't know if it's a fault with the switch on the throttle cable like mentioned in this thread or if its the stalk. The reason I think it might be the stalk is the there are only the two positions On or Fast, there is nothing before the On, but there is a lot of travel before reaching this position. Is this how the stalk is or is the intermittent position broken?

Also the rear wiper in position one only wipes once, in position two it wipes intermittently. Is this also normal?

I should mention that my car is a 1993(L) 1.7 480S.

Thanks, Ashley
the intermittent front control is up on the stalk. from off position should be , up-intermittent, down normal, down again fast.

intermittant--------------- up 1
off ___________________________________stalk in middle off
on slow---------------------down1
on fast---------------------down2

the rear just has 2 intermittant speeds. you probably didn"t wait long enough on slow.

Slash01

Post by Slash01 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:12 pm

thanks, I'll give that a try. Didn't think to go up. :tomato:

Slash01

Post by Slash01 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:42 pm

I can report that all my wipers are working as they should.
Strange design to go up for intermittent then back down through off to turn them on. And as a result I'm now the laughing stock of all my friends.