squeaky belts and dodgy mechanics

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

red480gt
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

squeaky belts and dodgy mechanics

Post by red480gt » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:55 pm

Hi all

This morning i had the worst sounding car known to man i worked it out to be the altenator belt, being cold and me being lazy i decided to drop into a local garage.

Guy said it was a fiddly arkward job and it wont be quick, parts would have to come off (i have aircon)

i said sod it and tryed it my self, All i can say is well done volvo, what a doddle of a job. all i needed was a long 13mm and 10mm socket, loosen the main bolt and use the adjuster bolt to tension the belt.

saved a pretty penny me thinks.

im going to get it changed next service cos im not happy it was loose (thinking the belt is on its way out).

ste

the point is "have a go" at the so called "complex fiddly jobs" garages tell you about
Car 1 = 94 Red GT - Aircon - Leather - Leaky Boot (but happy owner) - 68k
Car 2 = 90 Black ES Turbo - been to the moon and back!
Car 3 = 96 V40 2.0SE - The family wagon

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/s.w.blackwell/

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:42 pm

I changed my belt recently, however mine was a pig of a job, becuase my aircon is aftermarket, thus the belt has to do about 3 backwards flips (you get the idea) also the bely I needed is not a standard part (1950mm long) so that was fun trying to get hold of. Done now though, and the thing squeeks like a banshee! I hate this car at the moment.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.