Voltmeter behaviour

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

480s partner
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Voltmeter behaviour

Post by 480s partner » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Hello guys.

New year and new problem too. :(

I noticed my voltmeter started acting strange: It does read the voltage but the needle bounces back and forth untill it finally settles. It is a very fast motion but noticeable to the eye.

This happens when I turn the key to position II, just to provide electricity to the dash, and also when I raise the lights. It seems that turning on or off systems that cause sudden changes of current (voltage droping or raising) produces this effect: the needle doesn't raise or drop smoothly, instead it "jumps" and keeps rocking untill it stops.

I haven't tested with the multimeter yet but it doesn't seem to me that the actual current on the car is displaying these "surges" as all the lights and electrics apparently are working just fine!

So, what could be causing this? The voltmeter itself is damaged? Is there any component besides the voltmeter that could be faulty (I seem to remember there is a resistance on the back plate)?

Perhaps I should just take the set of gauges out and test the voltmeter on a power source?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Last edited by 480s partner on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Re: Voltmeter behaviour

Post by bigdickbuster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:28 pm

At first, check the voltage directly at the battery clamps ;)
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

480s partner
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by 480s partner » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:11 am

I' ve taken the hole set of gauges out and connected to an external DC 12V power supply. The result is the same! :(

The needle of the voltmeter still wobbles untill it stops... kind like a compass.

This likely means my voltmeter has some internal malfunction. :(

Anyone has experienced this before? No cure for this? Only a new set of gauges would fix it? :cryhard:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:53 am

the needle shoulld have a small damping spring this probably has gone but check the battery voltage with a digital multimeter and 2 very long leads just to make sure and if you need a new set of gauges (oil/boost/volts with 4 pin fitting) then let me know as I have a spare set. :D

to be honest I have found the voltmeter dial in 480 to be eye candy rather than useful. :lol: