Battery discharging, what can I check?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Tee
Started learning about 480

Battery discharging, what can I check?

Post by Tee » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:12 am

The battery in my newly purchased Volvo 480 Special Edition is discharging very quickly, about 1 day of no use will render it unable to start.

It looks like the alternator is putting the charge back in, but I think something is draining the battery while the ignition is off. I believe there is either an alarm or a immobiliser which comes active after the car has been turned off, it makes three beeps and then an LED flashes from the front console area. Where could I check up on this?

Thanks in advance!

Tee
--- Tee ---

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Re: Battery discharging, what can I check?

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:38 pm

I would check that the interior light, glovebox light and boot light are switching off with doors closed. Also, try turning the radio and heater off before turning the ignition off.

It could also be due to the battery being in poor condition-is the correct amount of De-ionised water in it? or maybe its just had it?

If none of those then its time for the electricians on here to make suggestions!
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

Iroll480
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Iroll480 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:01 am

You can check with a multimeter how much the electr. drain is. Disconnect the + lead from the battery, put the MM on amp and connect the +lead from the MM on the + from the battery and the minus on the red wire which was connected to the battery. Remove the key from the ignition and be sure all the electrical accessoiries are switched off like interior lights, radio etc. If the MM reads anything more than 0,05 amp you have a drain. To find the culprit remove the fuses from the fuse box one by one till the drain disappeares, so you know what is causing the drain.

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:28 pm

I had similar problem in my Turbo. Reason was simply: ALPINE IDA-X300 was energy sucker. I removed this and the draining is minimal. Second reason of battery draining is faulty CEM.
When air temperature will be higher I will make some investigation ;)
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

Tee
Started learning about 480

Post by Tee » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Well, it looks like it's the battery that's gone, does not look like it's a leak. But with just ignition turned on , no blowers, only sidelights, it's drained the battery from over 12 Volts down to 11 in less then 1 minute which apparently is not good.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good batteries please?

Cheers all for your splendiferous advice!

Tee
--- Tee ---

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:16 pm

I bought FIAMM 60Ah/600A. I don't know, whether this type of battery is available in UK. Probably yes, because it's italian product. Don't buy BOSCH - they have poor quality (at least the ones available in Poland)
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D