Troubleshooting Indicator Failure

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Troubleshooting Indicator Failure

Post by WRDendy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:42 am

There seems to be little or no info on this on the forum so I've started my own thread. My indicators have stopped working so the car is off the road until further notice, which will start causing me problems as of my morning commute tomorrow! :wink:

Symptoms are as follows:
-Double-speed clicking of the indicator relay in the CEM but no sign of life on the indicators or dashboard direction lights.

Possible Diagnoses So Far:
-Iroll480 stated in Jim's relay layout thread that erratic indicator behavior can be caused by a bad hazard light switch, but I have no way of getting to the back of the hazard light switch until at least the weekend as that requires removal of the dash.
-Another option is just CEM failure, of course I don't have another one to try and it would be difficult to drive anywhere to get one without indicators :wall: .

So Basically I'm wondering if anyone else has experience of this problem and if so what did they do about it and with what degree of success?
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Troubleshooting Indicator Failure

Post by ted clutch » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:04 am

does it make the buzzing sounds that usually acompanies the indicators?

WRDendy

Post by WRDendy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:31 am

The relay clicks in the same manner if that's what you mean, it's just twice as fast as normal.

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:33 am

Jaster wrote: My indicators have stopped working so the car is off the road
It's not a big problem. You can use your own hands - just open the window and pull the arm out the window - straight arm - direction right. Arm bent 90 degrees - direction left :hopping:

( very oldschool solution - before second world war :wink: )
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 am

I had pretty much exactly this, I had been fiddling with the CEM to try to sort another problem out and the one of the connectors on the CEM (middle one I think) didnt lock in position tightly leaving me with no indicators!
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

WRDendy

Post by WRDendy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:27 pm

bigdickbuster wrote:
Jaster wrote: My indicators have stopped working so the car is off the road
It's not a big problem. You can use your own hands - just open the window and pull the arm out the window - straight arm - direction right. Arm bent 90 degrees - direction left :hopping:

( very oldschool solution - before second world war :wink: )
Reverting to hand signals did occur to me, but several of the roundabouts I go round are absolute hell at peak times and I wouldn't dare drive round them relying on hand signals! :lol:

I actually got an angry look and some headlight-flashing from an old man in an equally old merc on the way home yesterday when pulling off the main road despite clear use of hand signals...