Radio is dead after jump start

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

moley
480 Newbie

Radio is dead after jump start

Post by moley » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:23 am

I left my 480 for 4 days without using it and the battery had drained (though that's another topic entirely, the battery is new).

The problem is that i tried to jump it off a huge rental van that pulled up outside my house. it wasn't very successful and smoke started to come off the connectors even though they seemed to be on correctly.

I eventually jumped it off a passing astra and everthing is now fine apart from the radio which is completely dead. it doesn't seem to be the fuse either. Could my radio have fried or is it something else?

I know that it was the van that did it as the radio was asking me for the code just before it happened.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Adam

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:13 pm

remove radio and connect up to a single speaker and battery if it doesnt work its dead.

Before that check your cigareette lighter is working by pressing in wit lick finger until soaking and shove it into the giarette lighter which should be very warm remove finger quickly if the the lighter is cold its a fuse if the ligher is warm then go to above.

F*** this keybord! :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill:

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:01 pm

If your stereo is aftermarket one, it could have its own fuse behind the unit.
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Re: Radio is dead after jump start

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:50 pm

moley wrote:
The problem is that i tried to jump it off a huge rental van that pulled up outside my house. it wasn't very successful and smoke started to come off the connectors even though they seemed to be on correctly.

I
Are you sure you had the cables the right way round on the van? Smoke suggests you didn't and that you put 24 volts through your car. My Friend did the same on his polo and it knocked out most of the fuses and knackered the radio's display! Check all your fuses and also check for a fuse behind the stereo.

Good luck!
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

moley
480 Newbie

Post by moley » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:45 pm

ok thanks, i'll try and get the radio out though i have no tool to do it at the moment (anyone got one fort sale - jim?). hopefully it will be the extra fuse at the back as i'd like to keep the stereo - it's the original volvo one and it's pretty cool.

the main fuse is ok i think, the clock and boot light are still working which are on the same fuse.

cheers.

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:04 pm

sounds like you either got wires crossed or you got delivery van that has two batteries (24v). if you connect wrong way around a large current will go the wrong way through your alternator (diodes on rectifier plate conducting) and burn it out along with the wires. i have seen the results of this with my own eyes (not my car) not talking hot air.remove the tape from wires and check for heat damage. you are risking a large car fire.
doom :badmood: doom and gloom :badmood: :kill: :dispute: :cryhard: :cryhard: :cryhard: :cryhard: :cryhard: :cryhard: :cryhard:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:17 pm

If that had happened then your car would have been well and truely screwed and believe me you would know it! :lol:

check your wiring anyway as Ted said as a precaution (good practice in anycase).

moley
480 Newbie

Post by moley » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:08 am

it was the fuse in the radio that had blown - thanks for pointing me towards that. volvo radio is back.

everything else seems ok regarding the electrics, i've had some electrical expert types look at the electrics as i'm trying to get my pop ups working and they've had a good poke about.

thanks all.