Cruise Control - make the 'cruise' light work

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

Cruise Control - make the 'cruise' light work

Post by Melvin480 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:19 am

I've bought a complete original Volvo cruise control set which I'm about to install. My car also has the 'cruise' light on the dash so I want to make that work. I'm not sure where to tap the 12V needed for the light. I know that I can measure it, but if possible then I would like to add the wire to the loom before I place it in the car.
P2 = switch on indicator stalk
P3, P4 = pedal switches
P5 = vacuum pump
H9 = brake light switch
A63 = diagnostic point
4.0 = instument panel

I've found this wiring diagram of the cruise control. The red arrow is one option to tap 12V for the light. But in that case the light would come and stay on when the switch is set at the 'on' position. Even if the cruise control is disengaged or not set yet.
The green arrow points to a 12V supply to the vacuum pump. I'm not sure if this one is on all the time or only if the cruise control is set at 'on' or only when the cruise control is engaged?

I've used the search and found a few people who have CC in their 480. But there is not much to find about the light. Anyone who has a 'cruise' light working? Or has a great idea of which I didn't think about, and that isn't selling the complete set to you ;)

Iroll480
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Iroll480 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:31 am

Here you can download the complete (pdf) CC manual. Hope this 'll sort it. I have also a CC in my 480S but without the CC dash light. It's a great system, even without said warning light!

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:50 pm

I already knew this manual. I will use it to install my CC. But there isn't anything mentioned about the 'cruise' light.

Iroll480

Post by Iroll480 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:30 am

I also have a german CC fault tracing manual. No mention of the cruise light in that one either. Maybe this c.light option was only available on the last versions of the 480 or only if it was factory fitted? just guessing...

Auk
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Auk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:43 am

Can't you just connect the light to the plus of the CC switch like you said in you first post? I think that's a lot easier then just find out how it's originally being made. The light is always burning when you've switched on the CC..

The CC was never installed at the factory but at the dealership so I think it was done the quickest way to let it work..

Good luck!
Auke

Volvo. for life

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Read some legal USA mumbo jumbo, and it looks like CC indicator light is a legal requirement, so maybe thats why Volvo stuck the dash thing in there, maybe they did not get round to bothering with the electrics as it did not get sold in US...
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

Iroll480

Post by Iroll480 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm

The CC was never installed at the factory but at the dealership so I think it was done the quickest way to let it work.
Thanx for clearifying that Auk!

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks for the answers, I think I'll do it the easy way then. Which is also usefull to let you know that the Cruise Control is still switched on when it is disengaged by one of the pedals.

dutmanjf
Started learning about 480

CC

Post by dutmanjf » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:06 pm

it's the one from the vacuumpump you have to use, when you push the set button it has 12v on it so the one with the green arrow! But where do you put it in the connector behind the dash. It was made for the american market i think only the early models had them but i havent seen it working so far. I am busy installing a CC as wel, its not working so far :angry:

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Did you measure that there is 12V at the wire with the green arrow at your own cruise control? Or did you get this info from a scheme/manual. In that case I would really like to have that :)

I haven't got the dash out to check where I need to put the wire for the cruise light. In an old post on the forum someone mentioned that he had added a wire to the grey connector to supply the cruise light with 12V. I will try the same. If this fails for some reason, I've thought of an alternative. Then I will take the light bulb out of it's black socket and attach wires directly to the lightbulb (and make sure it doesn't connect to the dash circuit board anymore). That would always work.

What is the problem with your CC? Is the light not working or is the entire CC not working?

dutmanjf

cc computer pin 1

Post by dutmanjf » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:30 pm

I cannot measure 12 v because my cc isn't working at all :( But it should have 12v when cc engaged because this wire steers the vacuum to the vacuum-valve in the enginebay. it's on pin no.1 of the control unit. In the grey connector there is space for one wire i think(hope) maybe that is the one you need. I ordered the little female wire connector that fits into the grey connector at the dealer, from sweden they got it, so everything quit original :wink: . Now i have to measure all components in order to get it running.

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:39 pm

The way it works according to the scheme (or the way I see it is wrong...) is that the wire with the green arrow should have continue 12V on it when the cruise control is working. The vacuum is regulated by grounding the vacuumpump (pin 9) to increase the vacuum. When grounding a sort of release valve (pin 12) air is allowed to flow in to reduce the vacuum.

This however doesn't say anything about if there is 12V or not on the wire with the green arrow when the cruise control is at the 'on' position but not engaged. Or if there is 12V at the wire when it is set at 'off' (probably not).

So I would like to know where the information comes from to be sure. Do you have some document that mentions this? Otherwise I will probably just connect it to the wire with the red arrow.

The wire you've got from the dealer, which part number is that? Like to have it original too. Is it just a short piece of wire with the connector at one end? Or is it a 'complete' wire with at the other end something to connect it at the CC?

dutmanjf

Post by dutmanjf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Melvin480 wrote:The way it works according to the scheme (or the way I see it is wrong...) is that the wire with the green arrow should have continue 12V on it when the cruise control is working.
this is the correct answer, so if you want the lightbulb in the dash to be on only when the cruise is actually working pin 1 is the one you have to connect to the bulb.

dutmanjf

Post by dutmanjf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Melvin480 wrote:The wire you've got from the dealer, which part number is that? Like to have it original too. Is it just a short piece of wire with the connector at one end? Or is it a 'complete' wire with at the other end something to connect it at the CC?
it,s just the cable terminator not the wire. i will look for the part number in vadis.

dutmanjf

partnr.

Post by dutmanjf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 pm

The Volvo partnr. is 3122496

dutmanjf

Post by dutmanjf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Melvin480 wrote: Otherwise I will probably just connect it to the wire with the red arrow.
when you connect it to this wire it only lights up when you hit the breaks or clutch i gues :?

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:33 pm

The red arrowed wire has 12V on it when the switch is set at 'on'. The brake/clutch switches open the circuit so the CC computer doesn't get 12V anymore and disengages the CC. The arrow is before the switches so won't be affected by these. I will use the green arrowed wire as you mentioned. Or attach a female spade connector at both places so I can change it if it's not working like it should.

Thanks for the part number. What do you mean by the terminator? Is it the metal pin of the wire that fits into the grey connector? So you can attach a piece of wire to it yourself. What did it costs? Shouldn't be much if is only the small metal pin.

dutmanjf

Post by dutmanjf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Melvin480 wrote:Thanks for the part number. What do you mean by the terminator? Is it the metal pin of the wire that fits into the grey connector? So you can attach a piece of wire to it yourself. What did it costs? Shouldn't be much if is only the small metal pin.
yes that's what it is, a few euro's for 5 pieces if they are not availeble anymore I have a few. nowewhere else in the car they used this type of terminal connectors so they are hard to find i gues

dutmanjf

Post by dutmanjf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Melvin480 wrote:The red arrowed wire has 12V on it when the switch is set at 'on'. The brake/clutch switches open the circuit so the CC computer doesn't get 12V anymore and disengages the CC. The arrow is before the switches so won't be affected by these.
you'r right about that

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:32 pm

I've installed the CC last week. I might start a new topic about my experience doing that, but first a picture for this topic.

I installed the CC light in such a way that it is on when the switch is set at 'on'.

I will try to make a better photo of the entire dash later: