Heater/blower doesn't work

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

LTS
Started learning about 480

Heater/blower doesn't work

Post by LTS » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 am

Hello there all,

I'm new here since today. I'm about to buy a 480. I went to the car, drove it and most of it was ok.
Only two point:
- There was zero activity in the heater/blower
- gearbox running very heavy, like shifting into a bucket of cement (posted in other forum)

Are those easy problems?

Captain Crunch

Post by Captain Crunch » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:28 am

Hi LTS
The blower isn't a major problem. It can be fixed quite easily.
It's usually bad contact in the switch, on the resistors behind the glove compartment or in the VEM (VentilationElectricalModule) if there is one.

The gear-box sounds like a bigger problem though.
Look around in the forum and search for a similar post.
Search for i.e. 'gear shift'

What year is the car :?:
Is it an ES or a turbo :?:

Hope you find a nice 480 :!:
480's never die, they just transcend.
Jens Lumbye
Storfors, Sweden

LTS

Post by LTS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:10 pm

It's an ES 1990. The shifting itself clutch etc isn't the problem. The clutch feels fine, and it graps the gear correct. No bump or shocks, only the stick feels like stirring in a bucket of sirup.

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:38 pm

I've got a spare working heater switch if you want to try/have it gratis amigo. Good luck with the transmission!

Stu.

LTS

Post by LTS » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at the (how do you say it) car-demolition people-thing. Looks like a 440 switch.
Yesterday I made a long distance test, about 400 kilometers and no problem. I feels like the heater works and that the problem is only the switch. It felt/smelt like there was some warm air.

LTS

Post by LTS » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:55 pm

Today I worked on the heater problem.
I changed the fan-speed-switch, but... nothing.
Later I took of the whole dashboard and tried to find the problem.
I took out the heater/airco unit and the rear side was melted and black spots. Looks like it's broken. I'll try to find another one.

LTS

Post by LTS » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:12 am

The fan works, but still no heater/airco. I'll order a new heater/airco switch panel and if doesn't work than, I'll take off the whole dashboard and check all wires.

LTS

Post by LTS » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:03 pm

Problem so far fixed. I bought a new VEM. Installed connected all the wires (quite a hassle) and everythign works. Warm, cold, window blower, vent blower and floor. :) :hopping:

Only thing is, the fan doesn't swith off when turning off the engine. Lights go out from the control switch (VEM) but the blower keeps turning.
Any ideas how to change that? I think I have to cut one of the speedswitch and connect the speedswitch cable to the ignition, or to the VEM-(ignition)-cable

480lover
480 Newbie

Post by 480lover » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:37 pm

How did you get the VEM out? I've taken the dash off and unscrewed the retaining nuts but dont know what to do after that. The slider is attached to an arm and I dont know which leads to pull out due to lack of slack so cant see the connection points.

Any tips will be GREATLY taken
Cheers

LTS

Post by LTS » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:58 am

480lover wrote:How did you get the VEM out? I've taken the dash off and unscrewed the retaining nuts but dont know what to do after that. The slider is attached to an arm and I dont know which leads to pull out due to lack of slack so cant see the connection points.

Any tips will be GREATLY taken
Cheers
A bit late maybe, but here it is. The VEM is connected with a frame. You have to take of a few screws and a few from the frame. The frame is on the bottom connected with the steering collum and the rest of the dash. Take 2 screws out there and you have some play. Iyou can take out the VEM, make sure the wires on the back are disconnected. Then you have to take of the wire from the heater itself. Of is easy, but back in..... :cry:
I you need more info, drop me a pm.