tach signal?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

aibast
480 Connoisseur

tach signal?

Post by aibast » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:07 am

Where does a tach get its signal. I have a problem here that id doesn't work sometimes. Most of the time is perfect and works proper but sometimes just drops away and show nothing. So whet is the signal source on these things. So I could trace the wires. I think the gauges have no problem all other things work perfect. And yes I did try the search function
1996 850R 2.0 T5 - "Beebi R"
1994 480 Turbo - RichMod - sold to get the R
1992 850 2,5 20V - sold to get the R
1987 744 TIC - Haas Tuning - totaled by BMW
1973 142 GL B20E - sold

crispy-d
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by crispy-d » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:56 am

Hello there, I thought the tachometer gets its signal from the gearbox, but having searched I now understand that it is directly connected to the ignition unit. Mine does exactly the same, moreso in cold, wet weather. This was the first time I discovered the use of clubman_dan's percussive maintenance. I find a knuckle-whip to the curved perspex does the job, but can leave bits of skin and blood obscuring the dials...

I now don't care as much, as there are worse things wrong with the car at the moment, and usually the signal pops back after a short while. But I've heard it's usually the connection at the back of the dial. But if you have checked this, then maybe it is down by the gearbox. Best of luck with it anyway!

Crispin
Volvo 340 GL 1.7 :) - Nice (RWD missed) - sold
Volvo 460 SI Turbo ('Rich Mod' / 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust / 710N CBV / Cold Air Intake) - (Turbo missed) - sold
Volvo S90 3.0 CD 24v (RWD back again! LOVING the straight six :) ) - is 16mpg that bad...? - sold
BMW E34 540i 6-speed Manual V8 :) - sold
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

rpruen
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by rpruen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:26 pm

The signal is from the ECU, if it goes missing, then the car won't work at all as the fuel ECU uses the same signal to time the injection pulse.

It's a loose connection on the instrument cluster itself. Either a poor solder joint or the connector pins that go from the main PCB to the intruments themselves.

Some people reccomend soldering the pins at the back of the dash that connect to the istruments. If you do that then it is impossible to remove the PCB in future.

Remove the PCB and clean the pins. Use some silicone grease, or dilectric grease to prevent bad contacs in the future.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6