Ran out of fuel... infocentre not me me cos of it

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Ran out of fuel... infocentre not me me cos of it

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:54 pm

It seems to me to be a huge coincidence, but I thought I'd pitch it. My fuel gague reads over slightly (empty is when it says 30 miles) but I had no money till the next day so I thought I'd chance it.

Needless to say the odds were against me and she ran out of fuel (only 15 secs from my house so the engine's not full of crap). About 15 miles earlier the info centre went blank after giving a messed up reading on the display (green glow still on however). No fuses had blown.

Ran out of fuel, thought maybe it was just confused cos of this. But now the display goes on/off. Not fast and flickery, its on 95% of the time but sometimes when you start its off then after ignoring it a few miles later its back on for quite a while before goign through the same cycle again.

If this supernaturally related to having ran out of fuel or is it completely independant and just my 480 reminding me that she can still play tricks when she wants to.

Also to this the alarm LED has gone off. Think its the same time but not sure.

Any ideas/experiences people??

Thanks
James Carruthers

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:56 pm

p.s. when do i loose my 480 newbie status? is it like 100 posts or something like that?

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:18 am

I think after 50 posts, you graduate
The Info centre thing sounds like a loose connection.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

keithemm
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by keithemm » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:47 pm

i've had no end of problems with my info centre, always the same one though. i know the green glow you talk about very well. I find if i manage to squeeze into the drivers footwell, i can get my hand round to the back of the info centre and tap it, seems to do the trick. An auto electrician i had hired to fix the indicators said he thought it might be a dodgy circuit board.