Headlights problems

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

stargate1961
480 Newbie

Headlights problems

Post by stargate1961 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:42 am

Hi, may be u can help me out :-) , when I turn the lights on , they go on & after a couple of seconds 1 pop-up lights go off , 1 city lights too and the right direction light don't work anymore, what can it be? I see that if I turn only the city lights directions lights and everything works ok, I hope u can give me some tip, thx :-)

Stargate

MartinP
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by MartinP » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:42 am

Have you checked the fuses? Not to weak or to strong?

stargate1961
480 Newbie

Post by stargate1961 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:31 am

MartinP wrote:Have you checked the fuses? Not to weak or to strong?
Hi Martin, the fuse are te same as always, but I will check, the both pop-up stay up but the right light go off + the right city light go also off and the right direction light don't work

MartinP

Post by MartinP » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:00 pm

Hm, well it's hard to tell without digging into to it. I have a funny thing with my lamps to, but in a different way (i'm sure you've seen my thread "lights freaking out").
My popup's also always introduce themselves by poping up when I turn the handle, then of the pop's hides itself and comes back up again. Freaky, I know but it looks so freakin' funny I'm gonna leave it :D
Anyway, back to your problem. I'd say your problem is just as mine, CEM related. I hadn't got any help on my problem yet, so I can't tell. Hope you'll solve your problem.

stargate1961
480 Newbie

Post by stargate1961 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:17 pm

MartinP wrote:Hm, well it's hard to tell without digging into to it. I have a funny thing with my lamps to, but in a different way (i'm sure you've seen my thread "lights freaking out").
My popup's also always introduce themselves by poping up when I turn the handle, then of the pop's hides itself and comes back up again. Freaky, I know but it looks so freakin' funny I'm gonna leave it :D
Anyway, back to your problem. I'd say your problem is just as mine, CEM related. I hadn't got any help on my problem yet, so I can't tell. Hope you'll solve your problem.
ok, thx foor your time, is the CEM from an ES the same as for turbo models? and where is the place the Cem is situated?

MartinP

Post by MartinP » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:20 am

is the CEM from an ES the same as for turbo models?
I'd definately say no. This clearifies as soon as you start talking about what the CEM does. The Central Electric Module controls all electronics inside our 480's which means that if something is wrong, it could be the CEM that causes it. Read more about it in the FAQ and on the forums, lots of people are talking about different kind of CEM related problems they have.
Anyway, as you now realize, the more electronics, the more things to control. This of course means that the CEM cannot possible be the same in every model because there's always something different. You can't have a CEM controlling the electronics bound to the turbo, if it's not programmed to do it. That should do it for you.

As far as the situation is concerned, you should be able to find it behind the dashboard. It's really not the easiest thing to dig up becuase it more or less requires you to dismount everything that is dashboard related, at least on the driver side. This allows you to reach the CEM which should be positioned just above the uses. Be sure to check this though because on some models it can be mounted under the hood. When I bought my 480, the previous owner had obviously already tampered with it and so it was fastened ner the clutch pedal.

That should clear up a few things.

Regards,

Martin

Ally
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Ally » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:43 am

Sorry Martin, I think you're wrong there. There is a separate ECU that controls the engine management system so is different for different engine types.

The CEM controls other electrics like interior light, indicators that make a beeping sound, rear de-mister etc. so is the same for turbo and n/a models. There are however three versions of the CEM, depending on what year the car was built, and they are not interchangeable.

There are also separate ECUs for ABS/TRACS, SRS, and possibly an extra one for boost control on turbos (not sure on that one). I think there are also separate boxes of electronics for the bulb failure warning and for the ventilation system (on some models).
Fred - 1995 480 2.0i ES - Dark Green Metallic (106,000 miles)
Dave - 1993 480 2.0i ES - Steel Grey Metallic (148,000 miles)

stargate1961
480 Newbie

Post by stargate1961 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:34 am

MartinP wrote:
I'd definately say no. This clearifies as soon as you start talking about what the CEM does. The Central Electric Module controls all electronics inside our 480's which means that if something is wrong, it could be the CEM that causes it. Read more about it in the FAQ and on the forums, lots of people are talking about different kind of CEM related problems they have.
Anyway, as you now realize, the more electronics, the more things to control. This of course means that the CEM cannot possible be the same in every model because there's always something different. You can't have a CEM controlling the electronics bound to the turbo, if it's not programmed to do it. That should do it for you.

As far as the situation is concerned, you should be able to find it behind the dashboard. It's really not the easiest thing to dig up becuase it more or less requires you to dismount everything that is dashboard related, at least on the driver side. This allows you to reach the CEM which should be positioned just above the uses. Be sure to check this though because on some models it can be mounted under the hood. When I bought my 480, the previous owner had obviously already tampered with it and so it was fastened ner the clutch pedal.

Regards,

Martin
Hi Martin, reading the Faq, it seems that the Cem is situated on the left side behind the bonnet opener, anyway is the Cem or Ecu we are talking about?

Ally
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Ally » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:01 pm

On a RHD car the ECU is in the driver's footwell and the CEM is behind and above the bonnet release in the passenger footwell. Martin's from Sweden so his driver's footwell is on the left side.

First thing I'd be checking would be the pop-up relay (situated in the relay box on top of the bulkhead) followed by the connectors at the back of the headlights, the light switch on the dashboard, and the day-running lights (next to the indicators). Sometimes corrosion or the wrong bulbs in the day-running lights can cause problems with the pop-ups. Also worth checking the condition of the gas struts that assist the pop-up motors and help hold the headlights steady. Failing that, start dismantling and testing things off the car.
Fred - 1995 480 2.0i ES - Dark Green Metallic (106,000 miles)
Dave - 1993 480 2.0i ES - Steel Grey Metallic (148,000 miles)

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:35 pm

Ally wrote:Sorry Martin, I think you're wrong there. There is a separate ECU that controls the engine management system so is different for different engine types.

The CEM controls other electrics like interior light, indicators that make a beeping sound, rear de-mister etc. so is the same for turbo and n/a models. There are however three versions of the CEM, depending on what year the car was built, and they are not interchangeable.
This IS correct, CEM I, II and III.... in fact I think there is a CEM 0 on early ones too.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:55 pm

i would go for the easy fix first, and check the drl bulbs.....some spares shops sell ones that look almost exactly like the right ones but the pins on the bulb arent offset.....even if they loo like theyre working, they can creat havoc with the whole lighting system.....just replaced mine....every so often the drivers popup would slowly wink.......would look great if i was passing another 480, but bit of a waste of time any other time....

anyways.....new bulbs sorted the probs out.
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

stargate1961
480 Newbie

Post by stargate1961 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:25 pm

robkendall wrote:i would go for the easy fix first, and check the drl bulbs.....some spares shops sell ones that look almost exactly like the right ones but the pins on the bulb arent offset.....even if they loo like theyre working, they can creat havoc with the whole lighting system.....just replaced mine....every so often the drivers popup would slowly wink.......would look great if i was passing another 480, but bit of a waste of time any other time....

anyways.....new bulbs sorted the probs out.
rgrds
rob
Hi, wich bulb do u talking about and where it is situated, my pop-ups stay up but the left one the light go off also the left city light and the left direction light stay on

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:27 pm

daylight running lights bulbs......the ones that are part of the indicator cluster.....on the front of the car
the bulbs somehow are wired into the whole popup/lighting system and have an impact on the system if theyre not working properly
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

stargate1961
480 Newbie

Post by stargate1961 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:48 pm

MartinP wrote:

Regards,

Martin
Hi Martin, yes in my case it is situated behind the dashboard, is any easier way to remuve the Cem without dismount the dashboard?