dead infocentre

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

V480TI
480 Expert

dead infocentre

Post by V480TI » Mon May 29, 2006 9:26 pm

hi, on my new car (1988 turbo with PRUEN MOD'really funny!!!!!!)
I got a problem.

Info centre doesn't work, changed lightbolt ; nothing.
Changed the whole speedo and all (had a working (!!!!) one lying around ; nothing.

Where to look for the problem ???

It is a 1988 turbo with injector cooling.

greetz
Flamered GT-Turbo 09-1995, Yellow Koni's, Intrax springs,Palm Beach,rear speakers,middle arm rest,Roboumod,Vega's, CT 906 radio/cd with 850 R amplifier, Pioneer speakers allround.
Hausser front and rear bumper, Black Diamond sport clutch, lightened flywheel, flowed head.Audi TT recirc.Stainless Cat replacement, K&N airfilter,Magnecor KV85,NGK colder plugs.
Soon ; Audi/VW calippers, 280mm Renault Sport brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

New project : 1987 Silver 480 with B18E engine

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Mon May 29, 2006 10:26 pm

I just had this with mine, fixed it by accident the other day

Theres a wire behind the radio (think it's grey with a red stripe, not sure), it switches on and off with the ignition, I needed a switched live wire for my radio so I used this one and my ic started working again

Looks like theres a problem with that wire on mine though, the ic turned off earlier on today and my radio went off with it, only for a couple of minutes though, was fine for the rest of the time

Failing that check the wiring on the back of the alternator, it's earthed there

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

V480TI
480 Expert

alternator

Post by V480TI » Tue May 30, 2006 8:42 am

oi,no radio on mine.
but will check alty.

thanks
Flamered GT-Turbo 09-1995, Yellow Koni's, Intrax springs,Palm Beach,rear speakers,middle arm rest,Roboumod,Vega's, CT 906 radio/cd with 850 R amplifier, Pioneer speakers allround.
Hausser front and rear bumper, Black Diamond sport clutch, lightened flywheel, flowed head.Audi TT recirc.Stainless Cat replacement, K&N airfilter,Magnecor KV85,NGK colder plugs.
Soon ; Audi/VW calippers, 280mm Renault Sport brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

New project : 1987 Silver 480 with B18E engine

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Tue May 30, 2006 9:09 am

I am still struggling with a similar problem, so would appriciate some info ...
Agwa Moose wrote:Looks like theres a problem with that wire on mine though, the ic turned off earlier on today and my radio went off with it, only for a couple of minutes though, was fine for the rest of the time

The radio + info centre + cigar lighter + glove box light + boot light + keyhole lights ... etc are all on the same circuit! Did you have the problem with all of them ... and if so ... have your managed to fix them all?

Can you tell where this grey wire begins?

Thanks

Ross
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Tue May 30, 2006 12:12 pm

piper1st wrote:The radio + info centre + cigar lighter + glove box light + boot light + keyhole lights ... etc are all on the same circuit!
Only things on that list that worked at first were the radio and the boot light, got all working apart from the keyhole lights but the infocentres still on and off (was working all day sunday though which is why I thought it was fixed), oddly though it's one or the other, if I start the car and it's off, it stays off, if it's on then it's fine

Hadn't realised the keyhole lights were on that circuit though, I'll be having another go at it tomorrow, so I'll note wire colours/locations etc. and try and get some pics of it all as well

Does central locking have anything to do with that circuit as well? just wondering as thats not working either
piper1st wrote:Can you tell where this grey wire begins?
All I know for certain is it was supplying power to the illumination on the original radio, I'll trace it back and see where it goes

J

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Tue May 30, 2006 3:36 pm

Agwa Moose wrote:Does central locking have anything to do with that circuit as well? just wondering as thats not working either
No, mine is working fine. Sounds like another problem for another day! :lol:
Agwa Moose wrote:All I know for certain is it was supplying power to the illumination on the original radio, I'll trace it back and see where it goes
That'd be very handy for me ... I'd appriciate that :D

what i find confusing ... The boot light + keyhole lights etc need to have a permanent supply so they work without having the key in the ignition ... however ... the radio and info centre obviously couldn't be like that otherwise they'd be on all the time, so they need a semi permenant supply?! So how can they be on the same circuit!? :?
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Wed May 31, 2006 6:33 pm

I wrote:Theres a wire behind the radio (think it's grey with a red stripe, not sure)
Nope, it's brown with a grey stripe

Bloody infocentres, even got me arguing with myself now :crazy:

J

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:42 pm

Had a go at it now and all seems to be working

This is the connector that supplies power to the radio

The switched live is the one marked, but then it dissapears into the loom and is lost so I have no idea where it goes, but it definitely had an effect on my IC

Took the dash out and had a look at the pcb on the back, gave it a clean and put it back together (I don't think the dead spider that was behind it was helping either :lol: ), only problem now is the backlight for the IC has blown (it was working until today) so I'll have to get a new bulb for it, also while I was back there I sorted out anything else that looked dodgy, also did the same behind the glovebox as well

Don't really want to say it's fixed yet though, if it behaves itself for the next week or so then fine, otherwise I'll be having another look

Also my keyhole light seems to have come back to life at the same time, but it only stays on for a couple of seconds instead of the 15 (I think) that it's supposed to, not too bothered about that though

Sorry I couldn't be any more help than that but I would recommend that if any wirings looking a bit dodgy - sort it out - seems to have worked for me anyway (so far)

J

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:55 pm

I think this is a great help J! I am at a deadend as far as this puzzle goes,
So any help is much appriciated.

'Anton_K' is also struggling with this problem ... so i'll PM him to draw his attention to this thread!

I'll keep you informed!

Ross
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:49 am

Quick update...

The infocentre works, hasn't cut out once since my last post in this thread :hopping:

Only one problem - the backlight, it wasn't blown, came back on a couple of days later, then went off a few days after that, now it just comes on when it feels like it, can't be bothered to do anything about it at the moment though cos there's other stuff more important to sort out

J

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:23 am

well if the solution to the problem is enough to put it further down the 'to-do-list' then your sorted!! hehe!!

I had a look for any spare wires hanging around behind my stereo/gauges but didn't find any. Also, murf checked the connectors for the stereo for me and none of them carried any current! :?

p.s. you need some new heater knobs!!
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion

ozturbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ozturbo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:28 am

I connected mine to the permanent 12v wire for the radio memory because someone on here said that was the one to use. It seems to work OK. When I was fitting the radio I left the wire off because I didn't think it did anything and my info centre stopped working.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:56 am

I just sort my infocenter out. It was working fine for all of vaders life :shock: until I changed the alternator.

ground cable was on wrong terminal at alternator end! Changed over and back to life!

budjik2
480 Newbie

info-centre dead also

Post by budjik2 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi The info centre on my '91 480 is also dead - I was wondering what the conections on the alternator should look like - don't know if anyonesgot a pic? would be much appreciated

also a few weeks back our mechanic had a look at it just after I bought it to check it out for me - there was a loose blue wire in the engine part of which was connected to the battery, he suggested it was useless and ripped it our - any ideas - could this explain dean IC

May thanks for any advice

loving my new 480 - would be nice to know when i'm about to run out of petrol though

J

Drazyl

Re: info-centre dead also

Post by Drazyl » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:57 pm

budjik2 wrote:
loving my new 480 - would be nice to know when i'm about to run out of petrol though

J
That's what the trip meter's for!
SAAB 9-3 2.0t
(Previously) [b]1994 480 GT[/b] - Metallic Green...

heavend

Malfunctioning info centre and backlights

Post by heavend » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:54 am

...this is a job for someone semi-skilled in soldering/electronics. The electronics for the infocentre live under a white plastic cover on the rear of the instrument panel, so that has to come out. There are 3 electrolytic capacitors - 100uF, 16v on that PCB. As they age, they spew electrolyte and corrode surrounding components...replace them with new ones - i'd go for 25v ones as long as they are no taller. I reckon every 480 ever built will need these caps doing sometime as this component is a regular problem in any old TV or VCR.
Corrosion affects the backlight - the lamps, the sockets and PCB connections. Clean the PCB with a fibreglass pen & replace lamps as necessary. Test all 21 lamps in circuit using a bench power supply if you can - way easier before reinstallation and finding one intermittant!

muddyfox470
480 Rookie

Post by muddyfox470 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:21 pm

Took out my cd/radio cables look exactly the same:

However I yanked on a cable and another cable popped that was attached to a connector, it had 4 wires and had a connector that looks like a floppy drive power connected, everything in the vicinity where it came from still works, so don't know what it is for. Oh it was red in colour and I didn't take a photo of it :(

Any ideas?

Ian
[url=http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/muddyfox470/480bilt/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,480ES,white,black.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/muddyfox470/480bilt/]'93 480ES 2litre - Steel Grey Metallic - 70k Miles - Bought March 07 :P[/url]
(Click for pictures :D )

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:47 pm

Sounds like the connector for the auxiliary gauges

J

muddyfox470
480 Rookie

Post by muddyfox470 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:59 pm

Agwa Moose wrote:Sounds like the connector for the auxiliary gauges

J
Cheers, sounds like a reasonable answer :)

Is your IC still working?

Thanks again

Ian
[url=http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/muddyfox470/480bilt/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,480ES,white,black.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/muddyfox470/480bilt/]'93 480ES 2litre - Steel Grey Metallic - 70k Miles - Bought March 07 :P[/url]
(Click for pictures :D )

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:13 pm

muddyfox470 wrote: Is your IC still working?
It works....

Apart from when it does this

I love my IC...

:rofl:

J