How to fit a kill switch?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

How to fit a kill switch?

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Due to my car having been broken into once before, and also because these cars are so ridiculously easy to steal, I'd like to fit a kill switch.

I've already sourced a switch that fits into the blank next to the heated seat button, and I'd like it to cut the connection from the battery to the ignition wires.

The question is, what wire do I cut into for that? A wiring diagram on what to do would be quite useful if anyone has one

Thanks
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: How to fit a kill switch?

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:26 pm

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Immobilising the car 101.

Killing the power to the ignition switch? You’re going to want a relay in there; and it’s going to need to be quite a beefy one at that.

You could interrupt the fuel pump. However accidentally hitting the switch whilst driving could prove “interesting”

And do you really want to add more potential failure points to the 480 electrics?

I just use a good old fashioned, thatcham approved, stop lock pro. It’s a good visual deterrent, so in theory saves your doorlock/window/other method of entry, as they can easily see it’s not going to be a quick theft.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:57 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:04 pm
Hi everyone,

Due to my car having been broken into once before, and also because these cars are so ridiculously easy to steal, I'd like to fit a kill switch.

I've already sourced a switch that fits into the blank next to the heated seat button, and I'd like it to cut the connection from the battery to the ignition wires.

The question is, what wire do I cut into for that? A wiring diagram on what to do would be quite useful if anyone has one

Thanks
just use the switch to turn off/on the fuel pump supply, simples, even if you do swich off by accident on the move the car will just 'hesitate' whilst you relaise you have been a plonker :-)
on the SS1 I switched off /on the 12V supply to the coil same result, but you will need to remind your localgarage / MoT about it cos other wise they will curse you if swiatch it off when testing the lights . . . (ask me how i know :hopping: , prove dit worked?)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:02 pm

To be honest, these cars aren't really valued for thefts, at least as far as I know. I am however paranoid about the Audi going walkabout, so I have invested in a Disklok. Nothing will stop a determined thief, but as steering locks go, these are the best. The best you can do is make it look a pig to steal, and make it not worth the effort, these are pretty damn effective at it.

https://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/disklok/
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:23 am

I'm with Jeff and Ben on this one I'm afraid, Will.

Although I appreciate your concerns especially having been broken into, that is something you'll never stop - smash a window and in you go. IN terms of the car actually being taken, which is what you are focused on, the 480 has never been viewed as a high theft risk car.

If, as they get rarer and (perhaps?) significantly more valuable, there may be more interest in stealing them, but I'd envisage that then as being an arranged "steal to order" situation. Those who do that will get past anything you do - let's face it, they bypass far more robust and complex systems in newer vehicles.

The alternative is the chancer,/yob/vandal who just thinks "that looks fun, I'll nick that, trash it and burn it". You're far more likely to deter such an opportunist with some very obvious physical obstacles (as per Jeff and Ben) to get round that might well make them just go elsewhere for a quicker easier target.

However, if you want to proceed down the kill switch line, I certainly wouldn't interfere with the ignition/battery wiring. You'd need a robust relay, robust wiring, and that switch is very lightweight as well to have all that running through it. Also the alarm system is connected to the ignition switch as well as the doors, so interfering with it could confuse that side of the CEM - I can envisage that breaking it could trigger the alarm when you lock the car.

Better is to interrupt the fuel pump circuit - that wiring runs from the pump under the back seat and forwards, you'd find it quite easily to intercept it.

BUT - I'm always wary of interfering any more than necessary with our aged, fragile and decaying 480 wiring looms...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:14 am

Hi everyone, thanks for the helpful replies.

I think I’ll give it a miss then and invest in a steering lock instead.
I never really had in mind that people were going to steal it due to its residual value, as 480’s aren’t worth a whole lot right now. Plus, they’re rare enough (and in the case of mine) a distinctive enough colour to stick out like a sore thumb if it were to end up on eBay for parts or whatever. I had in mind joyriding yobs who burn cars out when they’re done with them like David mentioned. Saw a Dolly Sprint burnt out on Facebook recently that had been in the family since new.

As for the switch I’ve bought, I’d rather put it to use than return it to a blank. I was thinking a manual cutoff for the electric aerial, but does anyone have any other uses that they might have done?

Thanks
William
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:15 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:14 am
Hi everyone, thanks for the helpful replies.

I think I’ll give it a miss then and invest in a steering lock instead.
I never really had in mind that people were going to steal it due to its residual value, as 480’s aren’t worth a whole lot right now. Plus, they’re rare enough (and in the case of mine) a distinctive enough colour to stick out like a sore thumb if it were to end up on eBay for parts or whatever. I had in mind joyriding yobs who burn cars out when they’re done with them like David mentioned. Saw a Dolly Sprint burnt out on Facebook recently that had been in the family since new.

As for the switch I’ve bought, I’d rather put it to use than return it to a blank. I was thinking a manual cutoff for the electric aerial, but does anyone have any other uses that they might have done?

Thanks
William
Ejector seat for aforementioned yobs!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:35 pm

I have a switch in there to override the aerial...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:24 pm

Something I learned from my mate today with MX5s, he reckons its a good idea to take the fuel injection fuse out of the fuse box and take it with him, and then pop it back in when using. Sounds good, don't know how it would work with a Wedge mind...
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:28 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:24 pm
Something I learned from my mate today with MX5s, he reckons its a good idea to take the fuel injection fuse out of the fuse box and take it with him, and then pop it back in when using. Sounds good, don't know how it would work with a Wedge mind...
just the same, no fuel means no engine power, a switch is eaiser and less obvious when parking up!!
Alan

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:31 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:23 am
I'm with Jeff and Ben on this one I'm afraid, Will.

Although I appreciate your concerns especially having been broken into, that is something you'll never stop - smash a window and in you go. IN terms of the car actually being taken, which is what you are focused on, the 480 has never been viewed as a high theft risk car.

The alternative is the chancer,/yob/vandal who just thinks "that looks fun, I'll nick that, trash it and burn it". You're far more likely to deter such an opportunist with some very obvious physical obstacles (as per Jeff and Ben) to get round that might well make them just go elsewhere for a quicker easier target.
best to persade them to try an easier target?

although a lock only keeps an honest thief out.

back in 70's a guy on the same course as my dad had a car stolen (I think in Glasgow) so he chained one wheel of his next car to a lamp-post, so they nicked his car and left the wheel :angry:
Alan