Mysterious connectors hanging underneath the car

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Post Reply
User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Mysterious connectors hanging underneath the car

Post by MisterH » Sat May 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Image

Image

while the gearbox oil was being drained, I noticed these wires (2nd pic) hanging down, and wondered what may be connected to them. they are located at the front o/side quarter, near the bumper. I was wondering if it was connected to the mysterious plug in the first pic, what does it do? it is located behind the Volvo grille badge, as can be seen.

any ideas?
Many thanks
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Mysterious connectors hanging underneath the car

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat May 04, 2019 4:19 pm

First pic looks like your external temperature sensor.

I'm not so sure of the second one.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Mysterious connectors hanging underneath the car

Post by MisterH » Sat May 04, 2019 4:30 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:19 pm
First pic looks like your external temperature sensor.

I'm not so sure of the second one.
Thanks, at least I know that one is working, but not how to change the unit from Fahrenheit to Celsius units
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Mysterious connectors hanging underneath the car

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat May 04, 2019 4:52 pm

The left grey button will change the units. You can either press the button on a very early car, or on later cars, insert a pin through the small hole in the grey‎ button.

The problem with the age of your car is that MPG & Fahrenheit temperatures are linked and L/100km & Celsius temperatures are linked. This was fixed on later cars. 

I doubt anyone in the UK understands L/100km so you are probably best to stick with ‎the Fahrenheit and MPG setting. 

If you get another info centre switch, I think you can swap the R/H grey button from a spare to the L/H grey button and then you can choose the units as you please. This is what I have on the '87 car but it can be but on any Info Centre switch to making switching easier 
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Mysterious connectors hanging underneath the car

Post by MisterH » Sat May 04, 2019 5:12 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:52 pm
The left grey button will change the units. You can either press the button on a very early car, or on later cars, insert a pin through the small hole in the grey‎ button.

The problem with the age of your car is that MPG & Fahrenheit temperatures are linked and L/100km & Celsius temperatures are linked. This was fixed on later cars. 

I doubt anyone in the UK understands L/100km so you are probably best to stick with ‎the Fahrenheit and MPG setting. 

If you get another info centre switch, I think you can swap the R/H grey button from a spare to the L/H grey button and then you can choose the units as you please. This is what I have on the '87 car but it can be but on any Info Centre switch to making switching easier 
ok, although the "UNIT" button does have a black dot on it, but it is jammed anyway, but now I think that I'll keep it as is
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

AleksanderHugo
480 Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:13 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Mysterious connectors hanging underneath the car

Post by AleksanderHugo » Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 pm

The two loose connectors could be for the signal horn. There were two horns fitted as standard, so perhaps you are missing one?

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Mysterious connectors hanging underneath the car

Post by MisterH » Sun May 05, 2019 8:47 am

AleksanderHugo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 pm
The two loose connectors could be for the signal horn. There were two horns fitted as standard, so perhaps you are missing one?
maybe, although the horn (a horn) does work
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

Post Reply