Info Centre - Yeah you know what I'm going too say :P

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

AcidicDavey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Info Centre - Yeah you know what I'm going too say :P

Post by AcidicDavey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 pm

So, for the first time in over 2 years of ownership it's started playing silly buggers!

Turned the car on Wednesday to find the display wasn't displaying anything at all but then later it just came back on all of a sudden!
The next day, fine, later everything was illuminated then back to normal but kept freezing and then back to being fully lit! As in every figure/detail! All lights.

I haven't looked at it yet but hopefully it's just a loose connector or something! Will report back after having a good check.

When dealing with the contacts what do you do? Just scrape off any corrosion?
Poppy sold 2 year ago, sorely missed :(

Now driving my 98 V70 AWD inherited 8 years ago!

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Info Centre - Yeah you know what I'm going too say :P

Post by doingitsideways » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:14 am

EXACTLY the same symptoms as mine Dave.

Mine started like that and got progressively worse.

I took mine out but couldn't find anything obviously loose, or any broken solder joints on the board.

So I cleaned EVERY single electrical connection with a little WD40 and a cotton bud, obviously a better cleaner would be better, but it's all I had to hand put it all back together and it worked :)

This was after it not working at all for months.

Maybe something like nail polish remover would work well

It still doesn't work properly when it's really cold, like below freezing, but comes to life after a couple of minutes of driving once there's a little heat in the cabin.

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:55 pm

The most likely culprit is the metal connecting pins that connect the IC unit to the circuit board on the back of the instrument binnacle. If you remove the binnacle you'll see five (I think) long metal pins protruding out the back, behind the infocentre, they connect to the metal around them which is the connection to the large circuit board. Clean these cotacts and maybe crimp the outer sheath/metal down onto the pins and your IC may well behave again!
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

AcidicDavey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by AcidicDavey » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Ok, thanks guys ;)

Up until now I've been wondering why these cars have such a bad rep for electrical problems, now I know!

I only ever have about £20 of fuel in at one time so a faulty fuel gauge just will not do!

It was almost perfect today however :D
Poppy sold 2 year ago, sorely missed :(

Now driving my 98 V70 AWD inherited 8 years ago!