Rear Wiper Question

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

yopman
480 Newbie

Rear Wiper Question

Post by yopman » Sun May 09, 2010 8:20 pm

All,

I was wondering if you could advise what the problem is with my rear wiper.

Intermitent fault.

When activated it goes half across & does not return to the original position. Awesome timing of the switch in the cab can allow the return the blade OK, but kinda annoying. Do you think this is the switch in the cab, or the motor at the back (theres a motor mechanism for the rear wiper on ebay right now, so please answer my question if you know the answer to allow me to pick it up in time).

Many thanks in advance for your assistance in this mater.

Yours Faithfully,

Richard M Wade Esq.

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Rear Wiper Question

Post by WRDendy » Sun May 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Probably the motor. Happened to mine before it went in for 'winter check-up' at the local Volvo garage and they said that the motor will do that when it's on it's way out. It's on my list of stuff to do before the next MOT but for now I'm sticking with the clever switch timing method.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Derek » Mon May 10, 2010 12:08 am

take the black cover off of the wiper motor under the windscreen and you'll see where the electrical plugs go in to a black plastic (disk shaped) part. it has 4 clips on the edge securing it to the motor if you remove this(really fiddly and one of the clips is almost impossible to see) all you have to do is clean all the old grease off of all the contacts (this is what stops the wipers from parking at the bottom of the windscreen as it goes rock hard) and put some fresh grease or vasiline on the contacts and put it all back together again and it should be fine.

yopman
480 Newbie

Post by yopman » Mon May 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Derek,

Many thanks, I took a quick look this evening & think that I had better leave that one to my mechanic during it's upcoming 6 monthly service.

Kindest Regards,

Richard M Wade Esq.