My First Post-A super geeky question

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ronitosix
480 Newbie

My First Post-A super geeky question

Post by ronitosix » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:33 am

It seems to me that the main problem with the electrical system in the 480 (especially before 92) is its heart. The CEM.

My question is how clean an electric current does this car produce. My guess is that is anything but clean. Certainly not clean enough to run the computer that the CEM is. At least judging by the blown capacitors I have seen pictured online

Basically, wouldn't cleaning up the power supply to the CEM make it reliable? Even long lasting.

Maybe even running it on its own separate battery?

Besides the power source, the capacitors and and resistors I have seen pictured on the CEMs on one site, look to me to be the cheapest possible ones on the market.

I am guessing replacing those cheap capacitors on the CEM with bigger/high temperature resistant/ high quality ones should be the first thing one should consider for their 480.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 am

After 15 or so years the parts just fail. I'm sure they was no recall of cems.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

ronitosix
480 Newbie

Old age electrics

Post by ronitosix » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:12 am

Fair enough

Thanks!

Veegard
480 Newbie

Post by Veegard » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:50 pm

I just replaced mine with a scrapped one, fixed most of my problems. Is your battery bad or something?
If you're concerned about this, you should run 50mm2 wires from alternator to battery, use a proper power splitter, and maybe upgrade some wiring and go over the earthing here and there.. Things corrode over time.