anyone solved knocking exhausts?

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

anyone solved knocking exhausts?

Post by volvofox » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:13 am

I have a Kwikfit secundary exhaust under the car for so long I almost got used to the knocking sound on bad roads.

The exhaust has to run through a narrow gap, over a steel contruction, under the bodyplate.

It sometinmes knocks on the body in bents, and on dry hot days a tiny little.

But the thin material kwikfit (immitation) uses bents in all ways. I mean the hot thin pipe gets cold and wet from one side only, and like a Bi metal of a thermostat it bents the other way. I mean the knocking is louder.

I tried adjusting it several times, and several kinds of rubbers. I also made a vertical working extra rubber on the other side of the pot, but that did not work muck. I have heard of steel sponge, but it is hard to get in non corroding stuff.

any creative idea's?

how did you people solve this?
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

levensnevel
480 Expert

Post by levensnevel » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:57 am

Volvofox,

if I remember correctly you've got a Turbo, don't you :?:
Got both the middle and end section of my exhaust system replace this year aswell. they used Bosal parts for it.
I was told that fitting new / replacement exhaust system on a Turbo Cheese Wedge is always a very delicate matter, when you want to avoid the problems you're facing that is. All because of the diameter to the piping ;)
I wasn't present during the whole proces but I noticed two thing:
> where the exhaust crosses the rear axle they made a small dent in the pipe
> in the middle 2 rubber 'thingies' are used to suspend the exhaust system, which were 'secured' the chassis with a tiewrap.
End result: No rattle or knocks :hopping:
Hope this rant wil put you in the right direction :cheers:
Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....
Gammal kärlek rostar aldrig!

Sweet memories
at this moment a Toyota Prius editione Tech MY2008 - 203K km+4K km

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:49 pm

well, guess i'll be experimenting some more than.( -zucht-)
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

non volvo exhaust

Post by gerrsvolvo » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:03 pm

Hi volvofox
join the clunb of non volvo exhaust probemers.
All you write and what levensnevel wrote is caused by using non original volvo exhaust parts and fitting by non volvo.
I had some of these problems caused by the heavier than standart CSC sportsexhaust.
It was cured by my volvodealer by refitting the system and using original volvo rubbers. :wink:
And becaus off the heavier sports-rearsilencer they used tyrips
to prevent the rearrubbers from hanging out getting to let the exhaust hang lower than iy is supposed to hang.
Good luck
Gerrsvolvo

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:40 pm

Once heard something about the rear 'stabilisatorstangen (=dutch)', maybe that helps?
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:19 pm

Undo the pipes and then adjust them!
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

doug_480_turbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by doug_480_turbo » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:19 pm

I sorted my girlfreinds 440s exhaust knocking by using a rubber exhaust strap, i hooked it on to the end hook rapped it round the exhaust then back on to the same hook. I then moved the strap till i got it as close to the sileincer as possible this made it tight. Neverhad any problems since.
J Reg 92, 480 turbo, twin tone grey, dump valve, incar boost control running with dbs mbc, pipercross induction kit and some silicon hoses.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:47 pm

@gerrs volvo, yes, its my own fault. I had to use original exhausts. I have to be to tis crap official volvo dealer of mine( that is looking for weeks for a turbo heat sensor on my '88, really arrogant people) I think I'll grap some stiffer rubbers. (any way them crapfitters reasured me time and time again these were the correct ones)

@coyote: its not the stabilizers. Had this trouble years ago. Its a different noise.

To all : well, guess thats life.

I am starting to like trouble on my car :? (Shall i see a doctor about this? :lol: )
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

Renter
Started learning about 480

Post by Renter » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:08 pm

Volvofox,

Lucky for you i am an exhaust expert, :wink: , been there done that. here's my input:

First check if exhaust connections are as far in as possible, conn to cat en middle pipe to silencer.

Get new original volvo middle pipe support rubbers, bent hook on middle pipe a bit down so pipe gets a bit closer to bottom, secure rubber bands with tie-wraps. I used other ones too but often diff. thickness and bad fitting around hook. The volvo ones work best for me.

Check and replace back donut rubbers and put a stainless steel jubilee clip around it, this makes the rubber a bit stiffer and lifts it a bit higher up to the bottom. The pipe should be free from the wheelaxle where it passes over. In addition you can bend the rear hooks for the donut rubbers a bit down. You a big wrench for this and be carefull not to snap the hook off.

Done all above myself and no more knocking on the bottom.

Regards, renter
Volvo 480 2.0 ES, 1995, Paris Blue

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:41 pm

thanks all.

@ renter, yes i will get me some original rubbers. I have tried leveling the rear pot with the hooks, but there is no more an a finger widt space above and below, left and right the thick turbo pipe in the hole where it goes over a steel beam, near the axle.

will try some, thanks again
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

Renter
Started learning about 480

Post by Renter » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:14 pm

Its tight, use stainless jubilee clips around donut rubbers, did the trick for me.

Good luck.

Rgds, Renter
Volvo 480 2.0 ES, 1995, Paris Blue