1794 cc renault engine

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

schakal
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by schakal » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:32 pm

haz@nocturnal_development wrote:this is a none turbo thread martin ;)

shakal, what do ya mean there's no tdc sensor? so how does the electrics know where the engines at?

lol @ carb freeze, maybe if you had a large front mount cooler. there's enough heat in the engine bay to prevent this if it was a problem. bin that air box :)

equal length is just that, each runner is of equal length. the exhaust flow pulses and the equal length helps the gases flow smoother.

haz :)
i was on about an external tdc sensor haz , i thought you needed one of them to have the timing sorted after a cam shaft change ?

on my f3p engined renault 19 ,i had a beautifull sound around 3.5k and over with a open air filter . and i am hoping to get the same on this engine

so what sort of air filter am i looking for ,a cone type that connects to the airbox ????(the standard filter in box removed obviously )
Last edited by schakal on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
secretly VOLVO 480 loving RENAULT enthusiast

schakal

Post by schakal » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:37 pm

also here are pictures as promised (F3P ENGINE)
exhaust and inlet together as they bolt to the head

inlet manifold (spi )

zorst manifold ,looks the same as in martinholmesuk"s pictures

this makes it easier to turn the r9 into a turbo i believe at least physically ,not sure how the fueling would work.

overboost
Started learning about 480

Post by overboost » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:46 am

multipoint injection head is different, as the injectors go into the head.

If u want turbo power then just transplant one. If u set ureself plenty of time, and have some decent tools handy, then u'll have no probs.

The volvo/renault engine is whats called a "common rail" engine. It's actually used in alot more than u'd think, even dating back to the renault traffic van, in the same capacity as B18FT ;)

Diesel engine is also based on same thing too

schakal

Post by schakal » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:21 am

overboost wrote:multipoint injection head is different, as the injectors go into the head.

If u want turbo power then just transplant one. If u set ureself plenty of time, and have some decent tools handy, then u'll have no probs.

The volvo/renault engine is whats called a "common rail" engine. It's actually used in alot more than u'd think, even dating back to the renault traffic van, in the same capacity as B18FT ;)

Diesel engine is also based on same thing too
can you explain to me what would be the problem ,if the exhaust and inlet manifolds from b18e do fit on the renault head with the turbo charger without any machining involved ?
can i not just run this on a carb ??

overboost
Started learning about 480

Post by overboost » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:57 am

I'm not really sure what u are trying to achieve m8. Run it by me again, as the thread seems to have got quite random in places !!!!

B18e - non turbo

B18FT - turbo engine.

B18e manifolds together will fit, but there is no where to just bolt a turbo on.....

B18FT manifolds will also fit when used together, but no where for injectors to go. Inlet manifold on turbo engine is tightly swept up to clear exhaust manifold, and problems may be seen if trying to fit carburettor inlet manifold in conjunction with turbo exhaust manifold. Then again, it may clear it nicely. It isn't some thing i've tried :)

Andy

480 Newbie

Post by 1256 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:18 pm

@ schakal you can check if the heads can be interhangeable be symply buying a volvo head gaskt and applying it to the renault head, if everything is ok than you can swap them, but as Milosz_480 said you'll have less compression and so weaker at power engine and a turbo would be a nice idea if you change the pistons to a turbo ones.

as for carbs i've changed me 480 B18F to carb and i'm using a Weber 2V (32/36DGAV) carb wich has been useb in some sierra engines and the car runs much better than before most noticeable in revs above 3500. till the original cam shaft if B18F so i'll be looking for a B18E one or a custom made for rpad use 280 degrees or a race version 320 degrees.
to chance to this carb you'll have to use renaul intake and exhaust manif. but from a ren21 engine for a solex 2v carb. then u can use either the solex or machine the weber a little bit for the mounts and use it instead for it's bigger and for a larger 2.0 l engine. it has big advantage IMHO.

By the way my car is decatted so it has pretty quick responce

Cheers
Why should it be easy when it can be hard.

V480TI
480 Expert

B18E/B18FT

Post by V480TI » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:45 pm

It could well be possible that the heads are the same cause the B18E is the basic engine for the 480.
Offcourse other valves are used.

greetz
Flamered GT-Turbo 09-1995, Yellow Koni's, Intrax springs,Palm Beach,rear speakers,middle arm rest,Roboumod,Vega's, CT 906 radio/cd with 850 R amplifier, Pioneer speakers allround.
Hausser front and rear bumper, Black Diamond sport clutch, lightened flywheel, flowed head.Audi TT recirc.Stainless Cat replacement, K&N airfilter,Magnecor KV85,NGK colder plugs.
Soon ; Audi/VW calippers, 280mm Renault Sport brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

New project : 1987 Silver 480 with B18E engine